What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

3 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

Hey Aaron,

Are you changing those out yourself ?

No, a local shop is doing it. Cory who will be doing the work owns a nice 71 Monte himself. He takes good care of my cars when he works on them.

• Like 3

Out with the old and in with the new, I think I like it.

Also trying to track down what I think may be a grounding issue causing the turn signals to blink to fast. No luck with that. Still unable to figure that one out. But they work just blink to fast.

20220420_101034.jpg

20220420_101731.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Grant MacPherson said:

Flasher might also cause that pr

Yup I thought about that too, I got a new one and looked for the flasher in the car but I canf find it. I've looked a few times guess I'll look again. Getting under the dash isn't as aeasy as it used to be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Flasher unit sounds like it's wearing out. 

It's the round brass thingy at the top left of the picture.

I found removing the seat and easy fix for access, if I'm going to be there a while.

Otherwise, I have a platform that's just a touch lower than the floorboards that I put beside the car and can lay on for quick fixes. 

This "old thing" can make one fairly innovative. ;)

Monte fuse box 2.png

• Like 1

My work has been very very busy. I’m tired!

I’ve had little time to work on the car. Where I’m at:

I have my 496 shortblock assembled, Bullet cam is slapped in and the Flotek heads were flowed & ported a bit, port matched and filled with Manley severe duty components. I added pairs of boxer fans to the oil & trans coolers behind the grill.

As much prep work I did to the stock evaporator box, my arm was twisted by a friend who says the Vintage Air system works just as well while eliminating the box under the hood. I’m doing it. I’m covering most of the firewall with some 3/16 aluminum I had, it’ll be powder coated.

I had to pull out the right fender well-it’s steel. Although being about five years old, it’s actually starting to rust on the inside rear. Both have holes from hose stuff that I can better locate within the fender. I’m ordering a new set of fender wells-and they’ll be powder coated.

As the dash needs to come out to do the AC box, and there was more arm twisting, I’m gonna get the Dakota Digital cluster to do at the same time.

15 year.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

As much prep work I did to the stock evaporator box, my arm was twisted by a friend who says the Vintage Air system works just as well while eliminating the box under the hood.

I had to pull out the right fender well-it’s steel. 

As the dash needs to come out to do the AC box, and there was more arm twisting, I’m gonna get the Dakota Digital cluster to do at the same time.

15 year.jpg

Paul.

I plan on doing the same thing (Vintage Air and Dakota Digital) while my car is at the body shop. Lets us know how it works out!

John

1 hour ago, 71SSclone said:

Paul.

I plan on doing the same thing (Vintage Air and Dakota Digital) while my car is at the body shop. Lets us know how it works out!

John

I'm glad I didn't know about the Dakota Digital dash until Joe posted his build lol. But they are beautiful ! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Yes usually that's where they are. Originally they were clipped to the top of the column but after a few years they were just hanging there somewhere. 

Considering the mess the previous owner left under the dash, I'm amazed what did work.... The information I've gotten here has been a big help. :)

• Like 1

Installed an electrical plug for my new trailer hitch. It's all hidden and tucked away. 

I used three relays and ran an inline fused power line from the main fuse block… I also put another inline fuse at the junction where the three relays are wire. 

At first, I was concerned about using the tail light wiring harness to trigger the relays... It all works ,doesn't interfere with my new LED taillights, and is well hidden beneath the center brace that supports the trunk lock … It's a clean install...

I also replaced my back up camera while in the trunk .. It was failing and not reliable.. I really enjoy camera and it's great for backing and trailer towing.. 

Ed C .. 

Happy Friday ! Got the Monte back from my friends shop yesterday, and as he put it, the cars ready now its all you 🤣 The timing was off, and he changed the jets in the carb, and apparently some bonehead ( who is sitting at the keyboard at the moment 🤣🤣) adjusted the choke in the wrong direction. 

So if it doesn't start snowing again, or temps in the 20/30's I should get the new headlights and electric fans installed in the next couple of days. 

The Easter Extravaganza was a complete madhouse glad I didn't take the Monte. Lost 2nd round in the DD but it was close. Thinking of running footbrake class along with street for more seat time in the Monte. I'll have to see next race day how they space the classes so I get some cool down time in between. Street class gets little respect in the big scheme, last Sunday made my time run at 12:30 and didn't get back on track for 1st round elimination till 6:50 😡During that time footbrakers made time runs, ran 1st round and ran the buy back round. It was a long day 

Friday.jpeg

• Like 2