What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Well its been a slow couple of days but finally fired up the monte to check for leaks, gladly there were none lol. The plan for this afternoon is to burp the radiator and take a cruise to make sure everything works correctly, fingers crossed. Then I have 2 weeks (its actually 3 but I'm on the road this week) to play before the next race weekend. 

• Like 2

SUCCESS 😁🤣 Burped the rad, and while doing so temps came up and the electric fans cut on. Took it for a short cruise and got paid back for some good karma. Sorta like Ron's slap it post, there's a little straight stretch coming back to the house where I usually punch it for that little extra smile. Well coming off the bend onto the straight stretch I'm checking for traffic, usually light in the country, I see 2 unmarked state police and their windows are down. If it had been a couple of seconds later I'd of figured they were just normal citizens and gone flying by wide open. 😮 Anyway said a short thank you prayer and spent the rest of the afternoon tidying up the engine bay. The 2X4's are for what I found when backing the Monte in the garage, the drop off 2"? bottoms out the front end when pulling back out. Yea gotta address that lol Still don't like the look of the top rad hose sitting like that but that's not on the list of things to do lol 

FANS1.jpeg

FANS2.jpeg

BURP.jpeg

• Like 7

Installed new headlights. They work far better and brighter than the older Sylvania Halogens...

I found these to be a great option to the Hella.  No adjustment to head lights…Simple install. 

Ed C

1535178181_ScreenShot2022-04-30at7_57_57PM.thumb.png.5736a132b1945f6aa31b19c6085aa9f8.png

“Still don't like the look of the top rad hose sitting like that but that's not on the list of things to do lo“…

I can relate, Mark. My ‘70 is sans fan shroud after the previous owner added the aluminum rad and twin fans. 

D3A968ED-CF2B-411A-99F2-CE283A421860.png

• Like 3

Put a front spoiler on Montelishi this weekend. I found that when I let her loose on the highway, the front end started to float, so I began looking for solutions. By chance, I was rooting through the parts shed, and I think I found the solution. This, plus new gas shocks, and she seems to get a better grip..... :)Spoiler.thumb.jpg.20f1dfcb346d08a3b9ada06362d1525c.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scott S. said:

Put a front spoiler on Montelishi this weekend. I found that when I let her loose on the highway, the front end started to float, so I began looking for solutions. By chance, I was rooting through the parts shed, and I think I found the solution. This, plus new gas shocks, and she seems to get a better grip..... :)

You guys with parts "buildings" slay me, I think I have a parts shelf, well maybe 2 lol. 

I'm not against the look, or the performance upgrade, wondering if there is something you can get or fab that goes the length of the bumper? 

I’m not a big fan of that look, you might want to try gas shocks on the rear also to stop the front end from lifting, if not coil over suspension will cure the problem, unless your running over a hundred miles an hour the spoiler will do nothing. Sorry I’m not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to offer an opinion. 

A quick test would be to remove the spoiler, go for a spin and see how it works. 

Most common method to troubleshoot something is make one modification at a time. Then you'll know what made the most difference/improvement. Is it the spoiler (doubtful), or the shocks that made the most difference.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

On a whim I replaced the Flex fan and went back to the factory stock fan and clutch. The toilet paper test clearly shows It pulls more air than the after market Flexfan.. It's noticeably quieter too.. 

Ed C.

IMG_2546.thumb.JPG.1a2e90b54a36bb94fd766dc24276f0cb.JPG

1 hour ago, Leghome said:

The spoiler would look much better in black

Right 

Larry, something dark, anything but white.. takes away from a pretty car . Just sayin.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Searsman said:

something dark, anything but white.. takes away from a pretty car . Just sayin.

Maybe invisible....  😁

• Like 4

My girl also starts moving around at highway speeds, even with the coil overs. 

I came up with an ingenious solution. Lifting and drifting, you say?  Not any more!

773F2AF4-B78A-40CF-AE5A-69E4025CD6D5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Back in the 70's I had the same floating problem with my 402 71 Monte. Felt real loose at anything over 120, the problem was solved over the years with several speeding tickets and a very angry wife. Still have the wife and have slowed down (mostly).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, DragCat said:

You guys with parts "buildings" slay me, I think I have a parts shelf, well maybe 2 lol. 

I'm not against the look, or the performance upgrade, wondering if there is something you can get or fab that goes the length of the bumper? 

It's not actually a fabricated part..... You can find it in G.M.'s parts books. ;)

Black would have been my preference to, but I wanted to see if it had any benefits first. (It's actually Light Chev grey.)  I had added the shocks about two weeks ago, got better feel for the road, but still had the lifting issue. 

1 hour ago, Grant MacPherson said:

Back in the 70's I had the same floating problem with my 402 71 Monte. Felt real loose at anything over 120, the problem was solved over the years with several speeding tickets and a very angry wife. Still have the wife and have slowed down (mostly).

Glad you found one worth keeping..... I never had such luck. :)

I don't drive that fast anymore either..... mostly. Just wanted to see if the math that some sites for drivetrains was accurate. 

3 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

It's not actually a fabricated part..... You can find it in G.M.'s parts books. ;)

Black would have been my preference to, but I wanted to see if it had any benefits first. (It's actually Light Chev grey.)  I had added the shocks about two weeks ago, got better feel for the road, but still had the lifting issue. 

P.S.

It's not attached to the bumper, I mounted it to the bottom of the radiator frame so the air gets forced through the rad.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tttm2 said:

I’m not a big fan of that look, you might want to try gas shocks on the rear also to stop the front end from lifting, if not coil over suspension will cure the problem, unless your running over a hundred miles an hour the spoiler will do nothing. Sorry I’m not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to offer an opinion. 

N.P.

Every bit of input helps.....

I'm running air shocks in the back, but I think their might be a little leak in them somewhere. I was trying to find out if the math on the drivetrain was real, which meant going over 100 mph. Just curious.... lol

21 hours ago, DragCat said:

It's just a little shed...... ;)

Monday.  May 9th … 

This morning ,  I had an appointment in Medford Oregon. 300 miles from home ….

At 2am, this morning, I decided to take the Monte rather than the Buick … So, I backed the Monte out and headed west, down the hill, and across the back roads thru the rice fields of northern Calif..

With about 70 miles of flat road before approaching the interstate , I let her roll out at speeds of 80 to about 95 in overdrive.. When I got on interstate 5,  I decided to let her cruise at about 75 and 80… Rather than use the passing gear I prefer to slide the shifter back and let her build rpm slower… 

She cruised and passed everything in her path without a cop in sight. On most of the uphill runs I kept the 700r4 in 3rd gear, allowing the 350 to do most of her work between 2200 and 3000 rpm ..

After my appointment in Oregon I headed back to California and repeated the process.. The round trip was just over 600 miles, and I was back home at 3:15 pm having a margarita with my wife. 

!3 hours,  600 miles , did my appointment, Two fuel stops, and 20 minutes at the KFC, and said hello to my daughter for 30 min. 

I even took a one hour nap and was still an hour early for my appointment … 

What could possible go wrong with an 80 year old man driving a 52 year old car. It works for me. 

That's what I did with my Monte today.. 

Ed C.