What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

The stock fuse block has many vacant connectors.  On the male side (under the hood) I have found it easy to remove the pins from the donor harness.  Those slots will be use for add ons like power windows, dash cam, cruise, delay wiper and the like.  As mentioned trying to avoid a mass of wires going through the firewall.  

Does anyone know what the dielectric goo is that GM installed these with? Brake fluid will soften it but it is still sticky and has to be picked out. Once the goo is out, push on the skinny side of pin and it removes easily.

image.thumb.jpeg.a5d334e245754d184d9f2cbf6378a255.jpeg teh p

The stock fuse block has many vacant connectors.  On the male side (under the hood) I have found it easy to remove the pins from the donor harness.  Those slots will be use for add ons like power windows, dash cam, cruise, delay wiper and the like.  As mentioned trying to avoid a mass of wires going through the firewall.  

Does anyone know what the dielectric goo is that GM installed these with? Brake fluid will soften it but it is still sticky and has to be picked out. Once the goo is out, push on the skinny side of pin and it removes easily.

On 7/8/2024 at 6:06 AM, Leghome said:

I hope you better luck than my son in-laws dad had with Baer brakes. On the  Cuda he is building his bleeders will not seal and when tightened to stop the leaking they have rounded off and vice grips had to be used to get them out. Bought replacements and the same scenario

I would replace them with Speed Bleeders, they will not leak and are very reliable long-term.

• Like 1

Thank you Scott, I have a jug of the green stuff I use on aluminum household wiring, that should work. 

Got a tip from one of the experts that was in Carlisle, and they really are experts , I don’t say that lightly. Thanks Arron. There’s a bunch of them in this club. They know more about the 1st generation Monte than Chevy did back in the day.. 

Anyway, my ac wasn’t working properly, he told me my heater core shutoff valve was missing.. so I got one, had a tough time putting it on but finally was successful.. AC works much better… 

I have pictures, but won’t load anything 4mb or higher at this time.. IMG_3308.thumb.jpeg.bf9930633a1d2c901ec66758f26adca2.jpeganother item was noticed by dtret, getting started on that little project next.. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Ron Tevis said:

Got a tip from one of the experts that was in Carlisle, and they really are experts , I don’t say that lightly. Thanks Arron. There’s a bunch of them in this club. They know more about the 1st generation Monte than Chevy did back in the day.. 

Anyway, my ac wasn’t working properly, he told me my heater core shutoff valve was missing.. so I got one, had a tough time putting it on but finally was successful.. AC works much better… 

I have pictures, but won’t load anything 4mb or higher at this time.. IMG_3308.thumb.jpeg.bf9930633a1d2c901ec66758f26adca2.jpeganother item was noticed by dtret, getting started on that little project next.. 

I don’t remember what it was but I promise I wasn’t picking. lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ron Tevis said:

So what's the NEXT project that Dennis called you out on ? 🤣

• Like 1

Actually there were a couple of things. One was the pcv valve is incorrect, vacuum hose should come out the top, not the side of the pcv . Minor little thing. The other I really don’t want to say but it’s something on my 71 that shouldn’t be there. It was put on the car by a guy back in the 90s that began restoring the car.. he is now deceased so I can’t ask him why it was put on this car. Well, I could ask  , but he probably won’t answer. Anyway, the correct part is ordered. I had no idea until the Carlisle meet , that the part I’m talking about was incorrect.. I finished doing the restoration on this 71 but learn things I should have done . I’m just glad they went over my 71.. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dtret said:

That’s a good question. I have no idea. I might be the sticker on the air cleaner air horn. 

Yes, and that’s another thing.. but not the one you pointed out right before that .. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stuckin70s said:

So much nicer than 1/2" quarter turn plumbing fitting.  Where are you going to "T" the vacuum in?

Not sure yet, but I think it needs one… here is a picture of another members correct hook up.. IMG_3293.thumb.jpeg.765bc931a6d3f13038bc037364e3f53f.jpeg

• Like 2