What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Larry, I bought the Mothers Clay Bar System.  It comes with two clay bars, 1 microfiber cloth (you will need a lot more microfiber cloths than they give you) and it also comes with a bottle of Mothers Showtime Detailer.  You use the Mothers Showtime Detailer as the liquid with the clay bar so I guess it does leave a coverage of this on the surface

Rob

I completed my interior ,after installing Dynamat extreme ,and new ACC carpet with mass backing,I have not taken the car out for a ride ,hoping to do that today, 

I attended Hemmings Muscle Magazine's Musclepalooza XXI at Lebanon Valley Raceway in West Lebanon NY. I also went with Mike Talarek, a new FGMCC member who purchased Dave Reem's 1972 Monte Carlo. The event is held twice a year as a 1 day event, on the Sunday of the Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. You can show, show and race or strictly race. The car show is for American muscle cars only. I went to show my car and Dave showed and raced. Racing is on a 1/4 mile drag strip. They run bracket racing by times from 14 seconds and slower down thru 9.99 and quicker, a late model shoot out for the newer muscle cars and the F.A.S.T (Factory Appearing / Stock Tire) racing cars. The car are stock and have to be factory appearing, that can have certain internal mechanical performance modifications. They race on belted tires, the same size that originally came from the factory on those cars, running down the track into the 9 second range. It's truly a sight to see. Both the car show and drag racing events were packed (unknown numbers) and set new attendance records for both. We had a great time, at a well run event and will be participating again, in the future.

Well yesterday I pulled the 400# struts off the hinges on the 72 so I can get them sent back and hopefully get a stronger strut. From talking to the vendor 400# struts will hold a stock Monte hood, but we did not try that out. Hopefully today when I get off work we can get the 70 El Camino fired up and move it from the garage to one of the pop up garages and either put the 70 Monte in the garage or the Nomad. Last time out in the 70 we notice some odd sounds so I'll be crawling under it with socket and wrench to check the bolts even double check the lug nuts. Pulled the trailer out of the yard Friday and got it inspected so its ready to next month.

I didn't get the Monte out yesterday but last night I was able to spend 3 1/2 hours stuffing the Eastern Meet Goody Bags and pa.cking them into boxes for the trip to Carlisle.

rob

• Like 1

87 05 20

87 05 23

Realized, just now, that 28 years ago tonight I brought my 71 home from the painter.

Paint was free, I worked for DuPont Automotive finishes, and the painter charged me $400.00.

Black lacquer, 99S I believe, no clear coat. I don't remember what primer he used but I had a ton of 2 part Corlar on it, when he got it.

It looks fair at 30 feet or so but has several dents and the paint has been polished off down to the primer (my fault) in way too many places.

Good times!

Bruce

• Like 1

Happy anniversary Bruce. How the heck do you remember that? LOL

My memory is so bad these days I pull in the wrong driveway some nights. :(

Mine is a single stage 30 year paint job as well. It will be getting the royal treatment one day but not yet. Until then, It will do and I just look forward to the day I get it redone. :)

I went for my first decent ride with my new 4 speed today.  I did make a 5 mile run last night after completing the install but today I drove it on a 60 mile round trip to get some new mufflers.  Man, it felt good to go through the gears!  Hopefully, in the next few days, I will drive it to get my radiator which will be a 100 mile round trip.

I took mine out for a few minutes.  I am trying to run it a little bit at a time since all of my work so I can retorque everything after a few heat-up/cool down cycles.  I think I am going to have to dig the old plugs out of the trash.  Believe it or not those new plugs have made a huge difference in how she is running.  The old plugs looked pretty funky.  I have always said my tires will only lay rubber on a wet, gravel covered or sand covered pavement.  I had to accelerate a little hard hard to get out of a side street and with the same amount of depression on the pedal as before she really squealed.  I had never had her do that  before.

Rob

No Larry.  My original 70 which I purchased new off the dealer lot was a 350 4brl.  That car would really lay a nice strip when I wanted.  The original bias-ply tires did not last near the miles they could have.  This Monte is a 350 2brl and other than light sand or gravel the tires have never realy done anything other than chirp so this surprised me more than excited me.  I always knew if I let either of my son's dirve it they would not be out to give anyone a challenge.  Really I never push this car to see what it would do because with the 2brl it is pretty weak out of the hole.

Rob

Pulled the 70 out to check the timing as it wasn't running good on Mother's Day. RPMS were at 1170 in park and timing was at 36° at idle. Also saw why she might not have been running good vac advance not hooked up. Got the idle RPMS down to 750 in park and timing at 10°. With the RPMS at 3200 timing is 34° which sounds right.

Got the intake and valve covers installed on the engine to finally button her up;  removed all of the weather-stripping from the car and cleaned the channels with acetone to prep for the new seals.

Well I got a few things done none on the 70 Monte :lol:. Got my floor console in yesterday and dropped it in the 72 got to get a floor shifter for it and that finish up the console install. Today I order a wiring harness for the 72 got it from American Autowire which is their classic update series which I have in my 70 as well. We received a new mini starter for the El Camino got it installed this afternoon and fired up the El Camino which is now sporting the power injection 3 system on it just got to dial it in.

I made it to my first car cruise.  It was great to sit and talk with some car people for an evening.  I saw a lot of different cars at this one.  It was their first ever cruise and they plan to make it an annual event.  While sitting at the cruise I fixed my right backup light.  Bad Ground...... 

Rob

Finally got the Monte up and running after thinking I was having timing adjustment issues replaced the ignition coil relay mod and presto purring like a lion. Felt good to finally get her out the garage it was the first drive this year...

Took both kids out today for a short spin and enjoyed the weather... finally spring is here...

Darren.

20150530_155412_zpsszit5cju.jpg

20150307_143937_zpsmncfaw80.jpg

Addressed transmission cooling today by installing a Caterpillar heat exchanger, sandwiched into the lower radiator hose and plumbed with JIC hydraulic lines.  The lines then feed a 10x24" stacked plate transmission cooler which dumps into a spin-on filter.  Also got the passenger side Metro moldings installed.

I managed to get most of a car show in yesterday and then the skies opened up and it down poured. My Dad attended too which was nice as it was exactly one year ago that my Mom passed away. Mom would have wanted to be their as usual. She loved that her late Brother's Monte is being put in car shows.

Thats great Larry. Always great spending time with family. Sorry to hear you lost your mother last year. Im sure she was very proud on how you take care of the monte. Now you can enjoy your fathers company and build even more memories with him. :)