What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Thanks Eric. We had Dad here for a visit and supper yesterday after the car show. I'm taking him to another show on Father's Day. My Dad worked in GM for 32 years until retirement in 1985. In 1971 he was working in the chassis dept. and remembers these cars coming down the line and has lots of stories. Back then my Uncle Ron (who owned my Monte originally) worked in the Plastics dept. in GM which was pretty much the hottest place in GM to work back then.

• Like 1

MonteTrans_zpsbnzbfhqi.jpeg

Since I stubbornly refused to remove my headers to get the trans back in, I bought a tilting trans jack.  You think I was able wheel this thing under the car like this?  No way.  Had to slide the trans and jack individually under the car, then get the trans up on the jack under the car.  Twice (converter wouldn't seat).  What a pita, but its in now.  Waiting on 3 more qts of Amsoil before I can test it out!  Can't wait.......

I had to remove header on pass side to get my 700 in what a mess.Looks like header maker would give a little more side room since it has a mile under the car.I had mine on my lift and it worked better.But my lift can't go up all the way because of ceiling height.When I built shop didn't think I was getting a lift but it still works great.Had to cut trans jack down to work with it.

The trans guy suggested cutting off the side tabs for clearance - I don't run the inspection cover anyway.   Apparently its a lot more common practice than I thought, but I left them on there anyway.

Added front and rear sway bars, replaced front and rear springs and shocks on the '72. The stance is a couple of inches higher all around, which is exactly what I wanted, and the handling improvement is amazing. I also ordered a set of the 3-point seatbelts from Morris, and spent some time cruising around town in the '70.

Called my body guy and was reassured that he could:

block

seal,

paint,

paint,

and

clear my Monte this Friday, sat and sun, and put her all back together!

She's still in the same condition as last spring, (primer and blocking spray). He cost me Somerset meet 2014 but I'll make Carlisle even if I have to show my Excursion tow vehicle with the club!

The '70 is still having the 468 installed. Son-in-law is coming over Friday to take off the Front pulleys and brackets from a friends RV 454 to use on the 468. we are getting closer, but not close enough for Carlisle! Wish me luck.

I contacted two of the best shops here in the North-State, for quotes on swapping the 3.73's into the rear-end in place of the 4.11's, ($430 and $600); and then spent the day wrapping the headers and exhaust back to the X-crossover and re-mounting them under the car.   There is only a 2" clearance between the exhaust and the 4L80E and  I had already fabricated a heat shield to separate the two; I just needed the peace of mind that over-kill provides. 

Was able to start driving the Monte to/from work again this week. I had to get my rear trailing arm bushings replaced early this week as there was a bad vibration caused by the original ones. Feels so much better now. I've also been working on installing rear speakers and new ones in the front for the modern stereo I'm putting in with bluetooth and all. This car never had rear speakers from the factory but I found the correct 1970 speaker grills and painted them for the car. The car will still appear stock which is what I like. Some photos of my drive to/from work today and the new grills.

015.JPG

019.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

031.JPG

004.JPG

Went up to the storage garage and got the Monte and brought her to the house.  Spent an hour or so cleaning on her for a car show tomorrow.  I attended the same show last year.  I ran into a lot of people I had not seen in years, since my old Model A Restores Club days.  Last year they closed the show early and handed out the trophy's due to tornado's in the area.  Tomorrow's weather forecast calls for a beautiful day.  No awards last year and since the same people attend this show year after year I don't expect any this year either because many people come in groups to this show and vote for each other's cars so they win almost every year.  I mostly go for a good time and to see cars other than the ones I see here in the local area week after week. 

Scott was supposed to meet me there but due to family commitments he is going to have to pass.  This was going to be sort of our warm up show prior to Carlisle.

Rob

Glendia's birthday is next weekend and she has been looking for a car show to go to. I think I may finally getting her to come around to my way of thinking. I was going to say getting her trained but I know better than that.

I got the hard lines bent that deliver fuel up to the engine compartment and mounted a fuel regulator to the brace at the rear of the inner wheel-well.   Braided stainless hoses were then assembled and connected between the regulator and the fuel log on the Demon carb.

Then, after fabricating a mounting system utilizing exhaust insulators to place the A/C condenser to the rear of the radiator support, I got all of the front A/C components installed and connected.  This allowed me to finally re-install the grill onto the front-end...   and she looks like a car again!!!  :yay:

I'm putting fresh rubber on the Monte this week. The tires that were on it still looked like new but were getting hard and old. Also, I thought for quite some time they were 225's but were actually 235's so they needed to go anyway. I'm even changing the spare as it is garbage. I don't want to be stranded on the way to or from the EM. :)

I finished the installation of my new stereo with Bluetooth and 4 speakers in the 70 Monte. The car still appears completely stock. The stereo itself is mounted on top of my glove box under the dash pad hidden from sight. To complete the stock look, I was lucky to come across a pair of 1970 rear speaker grills. My 71 Monte came with a box of parts including a pair of correct 1970 speaker grills. I found out later that these grills are actually one year only and are hard to find so that was fortunate. The only thing visible that does not appear stock is the small microphone at the top corner of my windshield but most people still would not see it (see photo below)

Even though the stereo unit is out of sight I control the functions with my remote. Also has Bluetooth for hands free calling and no need to hook up my phone to play music. It starts playing music from my iPhone while it is still in my pocket when I start up the car.

014.JPG

004.JPG

From this view, nobody would suspect good sounding tunes wirelessly from an iPhone and hands free calling.

Monte_326.jpg

Monte_331.jpg

I met Steve, Dan, Al, Mike, and Kurt (Mustang guy) for a nice cruise to the beach for coffee and then drove over to another local cruise in spot. It was a beautiful day weather wise and we all had a great time. Always nice to see the boys with their toys and go for a ride.

I was thinking of swapping out the system I have now for the blue tooth. I like the hands free calling and the remote music aspect. Aaron do you have a pic of the stereo?

670_1lg.jpg

This stereo has no mechanicals (no CD player). This one's fairly basic but does the job for what I wanted.

Glen,

Nice! I wonder if they have knobs that look like 71-72 knobs?

Bruce

Glen,

Nice! I wonder if they have knobs that look like 71-72 knobs?

Bruce

I believe they set them up for what ever year and model car you are installing it in. When I ordered mine without the bluetooth (which wasn't available when I got my radio) they wanted all the info on the car. So I would think the knobs would be date specific.