What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Figured I would take advantage of a somewhat cooler and cloudy day.  Took a VAC day and started the cleaning, waxing, vacuuming etc. to prep for the Eastern Meet.  

Up until now I was simply using Hand Glaze and Detailer.  Got some direction from Steve as far as what products to use and WOW what a difference.  

Hand Glaze where needed on dull areas, Detailer, Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax (Liquid) and Mothers Synthetic Wax (Liquid).  This combination produces unbelievable results.  I was very impressed.  Car looks better than it ever has.

Now just undercarraige. back of wheels and windows.  Started to mist rain as I was finished waxing so had to tuck her way.  

See you guys in a week or so.

Dan

I put the new insurance card in the glove box. Started to take her out of the garage and true to her past "rain-maker" title she made it start to rain. Oh Well, I will be able to drive her plenty this week.

rob

Started driving around, ended up under the blue water bridge in Port Huron Michigan. By the time we got home we had driven 150 miles. Great day!

• Like 2

I dropped the cover on the rear-end to inspect the gears in preparation for this week's 17-hour drive to Penticton. When I did, I found the unit's spider gear thrust washers in the bottom of the pumpkin.  Not a reassuring find.

So, since I had to open it up anyway, to replace the washers, I swapped out the 4.11 gears for a bit more highway friendly 3.73: 1 ....while apart, new posi steels, seals and bearings were installed, (even though there was less than 2,000 miles on the rear-end.)  With the crush of projects on the '72 needing to be finished before Wednesday, I would rather have have waited until after the meet to address the gear swap. 

Unfortunately, that was not the only distressing find that I made.

I found that the body and shaft of the distributor had separated, and that one of the mechanical advance pins for the springs had likewise broken. So, a new billet distributor was installed.

...And,  as I had driven the '72 less than 50 miles since purchasing it and beginning its transformation, I set out to change the oil and filter before the trip...  this led to the discovery that the kick-out on the high capacity oil pan that the P.O. had installed, prevented the removal of the oil filter without first removing the driver's exhaust header.   Aaaargh!!!

I also installed a hidden micro-switch somewhere in the car that triggers a latching relay to energize the fuse panel...  without its activation, the interior wiring harness sub-assemblies are dead.  With everything else going south,  I'd rather not add to my Western Meet travails by having a second Monte stolen from me.    Doug

Applied a good coat of Rain X to my windshield after viewing the Eastern Meet forecast...wipers have not worked in years... :blink:

• Like 1

Just fired the new engine today, after completing the third "over thirty-hour work day", within the last ten day push to complete the '72 before tomorrow's Western Meet...   and got her on the street for the first time as well, to test the new 4L80E, front and rear suspensions, and new 3.73 gears with posi re-build.   I now have a silly grin, stuck permanently on my face!   :)

So,   I'm now back up and at it, after a three-hour nap, to try and get the interior back into the girl before shoving off for the 20-hour drive to Canada.

Wish me luck...   otherwise, it may mean bringing a  "still under construction"  Monte to the event.         Doug

We can put it together in the hotel parking lot.

Wow...  that would be great!   I so appreciate the support, Aaron.   

...And I'll supply the pizza.

Until tomorrow then.............  Doug

LOL....I know what you mean Jared. I was some tired at the EM and since we arrived home too. 12 hours behind the wheel each way a few years ago was a piece of cake but I'm starting to feel my age I think. :(

Last night I did an oil change on the Monte and replaced a center cap that fell victim to a Pennsylvania pothole while doing 70 mph. It was a darn NOS one too. :cry2: Anyway, I replaced it with a spare NOS one I had so all is fine. Tonight, I detailed the car and she is clean once again.

Dropped mine at the transmission shop. According to my expert it may have an internal leak, aerating the fluid and causing it to vent. At this point I don't care if it needs a complete overhaul, I just need to be able to trust it on a long trip.

Block sanded the rear quarters and drivers side door today. Talking to my friend about getting the body minus front clip and small pieces into the paint booth this fall then the rest this winter sometime.0704151639_zpsn2lpvh5j.jpg