What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Block sanded the rear quarters and drivers side door today. Talking to my friend about getting the body minus front clip and small pieces into the paint booth this fall then the rest this winter sometime.0704151639_zpsn2lpvh5j.jpg

Looking real good Tony

rob

Not much got done to the Monte's this weekend. We did get the new tail gate hinges installed on the El Camino along with the outside mirrors, still have the new gas tank to put in. The Nomad has a new gauge cluster to install which will be done once the El Camino has the new gas tank in it.

Finally getting around to doing something about a massive coolant leak that I first thought was gushing out of the pass side head gasket but under further review seems to be the rear of intake. This happened the afternoon before the eastern meet and resulted in me canceling out on the event. Been pretty pissed at the car lately, been stewing over what I'm going to do about repairing it. Seriously thought about putting the cover on it for the rest of the summer and ripping the engine out this winter. Finally decided to go ahead and fix it, what else do I have to do anyway, it's been raining nearly everyday anyhow. Good rainy day project right! Tough decision as the engine will be replaced this winter anyhow with something a bit more stout. Really hate to put the labor back into something thats getting pulled in about a 1000 miles. Oh well, big disappointment missing the eastern meet, trying to get over it as well as the anger towards my Monte, must press on. Took me nearly 2 weeks of him hawing around to make the call to fix the dam thing. Part way into it now. It's just such BS having to do this to an engine with 3700 miles on it.

271D363C-46A1-4A4A-9294-D085BB46D371_zps

1ABFB17A-FE81-49A1-A5F2-ACEA4801B6B3_zps

Cory, you are right, shouldn't need to be repairing an engine with only 3700 miles on her. Was it a cracked intake, bad gasket, bad stud or what? Sorry you weren't able to make the Eastern Meet.

tob

Ya know Tony, it's kinda sad 2 guys from Michigan hope 2 meet up on Pennsylvania but sometimes that's what the schedule permits. Sorry on my behalf things fell apart. My primary goal is to get his turd running for Woodward and I hope to see you there next month :)

It has been an expensive hobby for me too this year Cory. I had my numbers matching 454 and transmission pulled and completely rebuilt a month ago. It was tired, lacking power and had more oil leaks than I could shake a stick at. I didn't trust it for the drive to and from Carlisle without rebuilding it first. Then, I found out that the previous owner had put a 70 single line fuel sending unit in it and plugged the return fuel line. This was causing a back pressure of fuel and flooding the engine. So, a brand new sending unit and tank went in this morning with a new return line. The tank and sending unit I had installed are Spectra Premium and are all good and the gauge is reading perfectly. The car is running better than ever now and has all kinds of power like it should. Ca-Ching, Ca-Ching, Ca-Ching. $$$$$$$$$$$ LOL

LOL...oh well....it's a great hobby, a great club here with great people and still much cheaper than a boat which is a big hole in the water that you throw $$$ into. B.O.A.T. .... Break Out Another Thousand. :rofl:

• Like 1

Sorry we missed you Cory but isnt it amazing how we take all the care to rebuild these right and have all these problems and from the factory they just threw these things together and they ran for years. I may have forund the problem with mine but wont know till I get to take it out and drive it. Plugs were all good but there was corrosion on the wires where they went onto the plugs. So I cleaned them up and put some dylectric greese on them and well see. Time to start cleaning for the Syracuse nationals :)

Cory,  I can empathize with you...     it must be the curse of the red Monte's.     I too missed the Western Meet due to the failure of a recently rebuilt part.

After months of working out from under the giant snowball:    new front and rear suspensions; rebuilding the engine; adapting a 4L80E transmission; upgraded front and rear discs; all new glass; custom 6" extended seat tracts; new rear-end; aftermarket A/C and heat;  custom console, etc...    I fired the engine and test-drove the car with all of these new adaptations for the first time, on the day before leaving for the meet... which was a 20-hour drive away. 

Needless to say, I wasn't about to use the 20-hr drive as the car's maiden voyage.  So, she was loaded into the enclosed trailer, and we headed north to Penticton.  

Five hours into our journey, the transfer case on the Duramax puked its guts out on the highway.   I was hot!!   I had paid a 4-by guru  $1200 MORE than a new transfer case would have cost me, to build a bullet-proof case for me.   It lasted for less than 500 miles.          Doug

Haven't done anything to the Monte's as of yet. We did swap the gauges in our 57 Nomad over to the VHX series 11696002_1001993783168928_20135012399198 Today we moved the 70 El Camino out of the garage and into one of the portable garages 11143433_1002425179792455_12995388805153 and the Nomad went into the garage 10981738_1002425193125787_89793442277827

Drove the Monte to a car show half hour away on Sunday. It was a beautiful day with a large turnout. My Dad came and hung out with me for most of the day. We had a great day.

Tonight, I drove to a cruise night an hour away from here. It was a warm but pleasant evening. I cleaned her up when I arrived home and she's tucked away in the garage again. What a great way to brighten a Monday! :)

Cheers,

Larry

Welp, late start is better than never... Pulled the motor this weekend, figured out that my headers were pushed up tight against the starter which was probably causing it to fall out of alignment. While it was out, put new cam, vortec heads and intake manifold on there, as well as the black proform dressup kit on there. Unfortunately ran out of time so didn't get to run it, but its back in the car!

Took mine out of the garage for the first time in three years and gave her a bath to wash all the dirt off. Plus finally picked a cover up to keep her clean

post-246-0-30657100-1437274244_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-95023200-1437274275_thumb.jpg

Finally...finally got a fender sanded to bare metal and had to go through bondo almost 1/2 inch thick to do so..glad I have those lower patch panels...#2 tomorrow,,hopefully less painful

Went to two car shows yesterday and id not get squat but that is fine with me. Enjoyed talking cars and refreshing friendships. It was very very warm and I think I came close to a heat stroke right before the rain hit at the second show. Mother nature put down about an inch of rain in about 15 minutes. Luckily there was no hail but had to clean up the 72 after I got home.

That is one draw back to some of these shows Larry. Big asphalt parking lots soaking up sun on a 90* day, you have to be careful with the heat.