What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

(Oct 4 2015 post) Nice pics, that T-Bird was on Woodward. (sign on dash) I like the Monte best!

Bruce

You guys inspired me to get back to work on the monte. Today I pulled the car out of the garage, wiped it down, popped on the new window cranks and took it out for a short drive. One thing that has been bothering me for a while was the headlight beam adjustment. So I tried to adjust the headlights this evening and found out that the adjusters are broken. So I decided to order headlight adjusters. I also am chasing "rattles" in the car and found that a lot of the rattling is coming from the doors. So I ordered door lock rod clips, door lock rod insulators and door lock "ferrules" (the small chrome trim ring that the door lock comes through. Seems like a lot but they're all small items so it didn't break the bank!  

Been ordering more items to drop the heart of the 72 in with the trans. Tuesday Eastwood order came in their header coating system and two cans to coat the inside of the header. Yesterday the Summit order showed up 12 quarts of Royal purple trans fluid, balancer installing tool, timing pointer with a built in timing light, and a very deep cast alum B&M trans pan. Now I have to make up my mind to put a shift kit in the turbo 350 or let it go all stock.

This morning I left the house at 7 in the Monte and drove up to a local tire shop. The front tires were pretty old and starting to crack so I thought it was time to change them. Got the new tires put on and then just went for a drive. It was an awesome fall morning and with the perfect temperature outside at around 60 degrees and the beautiful fall foliage, I just kept driving until I realized that I had been out for 6 hours just cruising mountain backroads. I even saw a green 72 Monte for sale at an old car lot. I stopped but there wasn't a price on it anywhere. Pretty cool to see another Monte though. I guess I will keep taking the Monte out on decent days until the first snow. Then no more til spring.

• Like 2

This morning I left the house at 7 in the Monte and drove up to a local tire shop. The front tires were pretty old and starting to crack so I thought it was time to change them. Got the new tires put on and then just went for a drive. It was an awesome fall morning and with the perfect temperature outside at around 60 degrees and the beautiful fall foliage, I just kept driving until I realized that I had been out for 6 hours just cruising mountain backroads. I even saw a green 72 Monte for sale at an old car lot. I stopped but there wasn't a price on it anywhere. Pretty cool to see another Monte though. I guess I will keep taking the Monte out on decent days until the first snow. Then no more til spring.

And there's no bug guts to clean off after the drive. :yay:

I had a pan like that on a th400 years ago, I bought it because of the rigid gasket surface and the cooling fins. after a while it ended up leaking right thru the pores of the cast aluminum.  But that gasket never leaked!!

Drove about 50 miles to a car show and another top 35 trophy. Great drive and fantastic weather which will not last to much longer and the dreaded white stuff will arrive YUCKY!!!!! 

I worked on reorganizing my garage most of the day today. I made room to store the Monte in the far bay so I don't have to store it in my buddy's barn. Next weekend I will winterize it and cover it for the winter. I also made room for my wife's Saturn in the middle garage bay. The 3rd bay is just stuff, the lawn tractor with snow blower and where the kids enter and exit in the winter. It was a lot of work and I'm a hurtin' unit and ready for bed soon. :(

• Like 2

You say you stored the Monte in a friends barn for a winter? Did you have any issues with mice or anything getting into the car over the winter?

I have a tiny garage that just fits my Monte but my in laws live close and have a huge dome that looks like an airplane hanger but it's in a rural area so I'm kinda worried that if I store it there, then I would have issues with mice.

I'd like to have the garage for my snow blower this year as it has been kept all the way at the back of my property in a shed. Any ideas on how to deter mice from nesting in the Monte over the winter? Don't really want to use moth balls as they tend to leave an odor.

I've stored mine in my buddy's barn for 3 winters without any issues at all. I use moth balls but yes they tend to leave an odour behind until you air out the interior. I've also heard that bounce sheets work too. I also use this product that has been used by Farmers for many years in their tractors etc....

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=57UuVpCzM-bE8gebgIHAAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=Fresh+Cab

If you use Moth Balls what I would do is either leave them in the box and punch holes in the box or put them into some kind of container so they don't come in direct contact with the interior.  I used drier sheets in my Model A (Mohair interior) and still got mice.  If you are going to use traps I would make sure you check them regularly.... maybe if you used the tacky strips that you don't have to reset.  

I store my Monte in an away from home storage garage and did not use anything and had no issues.

Rob