What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Well I’m bumping into the end of my budget, but the build is almost at the halfway point, all the parts are together (I hope sans some nuts and bolts) and the install has begun.  The old 350 is on the way out, the motor trans and rear are next, hope to be 90% done with the R&R by next weekend, provided the corona virus stays out of the way.  Let the fun(read the encounter with the unexpected) begin after that.  Hopefully 2 weeks and the break in will begin.

Here’s what i’m doing

I’ve been gathering parts for my 71 for 3 months and have started the process of the installing motor trans and rear;

motor-  383 stroker; custom cam(512-520 lift 240-249 duration, hydraulic roller) cnc ported alm. heads, 10.5/1 compression, air gap dual plain manifold, eagle forged crank and rods, flat top pistons, one piece stainless steel valves, 168 tooth flywheel, mini starter, high flow water pump...

trans- 200 4R;  hardened input shaft, larger pump, bigger bands and clutches, tci vacuum release for torque converter( comes out of lockup by manifold vacuum for down shifts or when slowing down) 2400 stall converter, trans is out of a 87 GN

rear-  12 bolt originally in a 1970 chevelle axel tube says it was a 373 open rear, now 355 posi with Richmond gears new lines, and all brake hardware, cylinders..., using stock control arms as I feel I have enough variables all ready, 

Round 2 will front and rear suspensions, still need a 100+ amp alternator, electric fuel pump, pressure regulator...electric fan(s), efi  these goodies blow thru the budget LOL

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Big day today, a buddy of mine and I dropped the new crate motor between the rails and hooked up the rebuilt trans (still more work there and I posted a part help ? in the drivetrain thread) 

Now i have to organize all my bag'd and tag'd items and start the process of putting it all back together. But its progress 

Crate.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Nice fit! Get the headers in ASAP! lolol

LOL, driver side is sorta in place, gotta cut some more of the exhaust off. Should have both sides done this week, thats my next step 

Changed out the plugs in mine, cleaned off the underside  (had some seapage over the winter from sitting) working on clay barring the car too. Just gotta change oil and trans fluid and rebleed brakes and should be ready to roll. Going to change trans pan while it's off. Like my hair I add a little chrome to car every year :rofl: salt is almost off the roads. Stay safe everyone!

• Like 1

I finally pulled the trigger on the radio conversion and after some back and forth with Richard my radio is complete and ready to ship. Here is a link to the video of my radio in operation.

I love the new features and cannot wait to jam to some tunes while driving to the eastern meet.

If anyone wants a free custom autosound usa-6 unit let me know. It has been junk since day 1

• Like 4

Our youngest son and I brought my Monte Carlo to his house so we could work on it and his BMW.  We never got a chance to work on the Monte but boy was it nice to get her out for a short drive..... notice that we were observing social distancing in our drive to and from the Monte storage garage.20200404_160205.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/4/2020 at 3:29 PM, cbolt said:

I finally pulled the trigger on the radio conversion and after some back and forth with Richard my radio is complete and ready to ship. Here is a link to the video of my radio in operation.

I love the new features and cannot wait to jam to some tunes while driving to the eastern meet.

If anyone wants a free custom autosound usa-6 unit let me know. It has been junk since day 1

Very nice

I paid right at $700 including shipping. I had a new face installed since the original was still a bit hazy after polishing, which added $35 to the cost. After spending almost that much on a USA-6 package that has never worked properly or sounded very good I feel the conversion is more than worth the money. 2 or 3 years ago I had Richard do a conversion for another car and that radio is still working perfectly and sounding great.