? On speaker installation

vince

My question is How do the 6x9's mount to the rear dash?

Do they go face up from inside the trunk held in place with speaker trim or do they go in from the top down.

they won't go in from the top down, thats all I know. Not sure if mounting holes for modern 6x9's are already in place for "underneath" mounting. please don't cut. someone will be cussing you 50 years from now heheheh.

Thanks I tryed to drop them in from the top but they did not fit. (I must say the thought did cross my mind to cut the opening bigger) I am glad I asked here first.

Whie we are on the subject of mounting speakers.

Does anyone have an easy way to install the 2 dash speakers?

I ordered a set of speakers from Harmons that were supposed to bolt right up.

They sent me 2-3 1/2 inch 40 watt kenwood speakers with mounting brackets attached.

I understand I must remove the original brackets to make them work and use those holes but I have a clearance problem on the driver's side between the windshield and the gauge cluster.

Do I have to modify the bracket somehow to get it to fit?

evening guys like 1badmc said the back speakers mount under the rear deck. i have change the loc. of my speakers instead of them bein mounted to the rear deck as seen in this pic S1010050.JPG?dc=4675489512909694145

big jim as far as ur question on the front speakers i used 4x6 in the stock openin and had no problem if u would like i can get u a pic of the fit for u?

THANKS GUYS,I DO YOU THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STEREO AND MONO,BUT WAS UNAWARE THAT THEY DID HAVE 2 SPEAKERS IN FRONT (BOTH MY MONTES 71 AND 72 HAVE ONLY THE 1 CENTER ORIGINAL SPEAKER IN FRONT)I'M GOING TO LOOK INTO CONVERTING THEM BOTH TO 2(STEREO).I GLAD I JOINED THIS CLUB, THE INFO. AND THE HELP YOU GET IS UNBELIEVABLE!

Monte's with factory A/C all came with two front speakers, as the center dash air outlet would interfere with the center speaker. Monte's with the factory stereo had two front speakers as well.

Cars without air conditioning got one front center speaker with the mono radio. All cars with air conditioning got two front speakers if the radio was mono or stereo. The extra duct for the air conditioning didn't leave enough room for the center front speaker.

thanks guys,that info. really helps.I'm going to see about mounting the speakers .The prevous owner mounted the front speakers to the floor underneath the firewall(one by the fusebox and one under the glovebox)

"big jim what problems u havin post some pic of the problem spot."

Problem is getting the new speakers magnet to clear the printed circut. Original speaker had a rectangular magnet that was angled to avoid this problem. It can be done. Just need to be careful.