lower radiator hose for 1970 big block?

John Burns

Hi all-

I just purchased one of those stock-looking aluminum Be Cool radiators and the lower outlet is 1 3/4". Does anyone know if this is the standard outlet size for a "factory" big block radiator? The hose I have on the car is 1 1/2". I made it fit, but it is too stretched for my comfort. Will a hose specifically for a big block fit the 1 3/4" outlet?

Thanks!

The lower outlet should be 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" inlet for a direct fit radiator for your application.

You should contact Be Cool and inquire (using the part number) and see what its application is for. I don't believe the diameter size(s) are any different from a small to big block as far as hoses are concerned for a direct fit radiator for your application.

You might look up specs for your application and see if they match what you purchased as far as inlet / outlet diameters.

Doug

Thanks Doug, I am awaiting a response from Be Cool. Here is the radiator and it says 1 3/4" outlet. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-17008/overview/

I wonder if a big block Chevelle has a 1 3/4" outlet and they assumed a Monte would too. I fear no one makes this hose though. I might have to get creative... again!

I have looked at both the Be Cool and Summit Radiators. I plugged in my 72 Monte 402 CI to get applications/specs. Looking at the ones supposedly for my Monte, they have 1 1/12" & 1 3/4" dia. outlet openings depending on the model of radiator looked at.

Now it has me wondering why the 2 different sizes. Do you have A/C in yours? Might make a difference but nothing I saw while looking suggested either or.

The upper inlet is 1 1/2" dia. and would expect the lower outlet to be equal with that. But without knowing the theory behind those inlet/outlet diameters, I cant be certain. I believe the thermostat housing is 1 1/2" dia. And my water pump inlet is 1 3/4" dia.

Had you checked to see if you can get a factory fit 1 3/4" dia. outlet and 1 3/4" inlet lower radiator hose for your application assuming your water pump inlet dia. is the same? I actually bought my upper radiator hose from a guy on eBAY who makes/forms them. I am sure he could make you one if all else fails. I believe his eBAY handle was pacecarjeff as I remember.

Here is a pic of the one I bought and installed. Both upper/lower openings are 1 1/2" dia. I was able to purchase the lower hose from a local auto parts but couldn't find the correct upper.

getthumb-2.jpg

Doug

I have 70 350/300 hp no A/C + MT I have small radiator 20 3/4 X 17" core I also have 1 3/4 outlet and 1 1/2 inlet. I was able to make it work by stretching lower hose. I'm having radiator re-cored to 3 row radiator and radiator shop is also confused. He says it should be 1 1/2" outlet also. Don't know why two different sizes, do not know if it is good to stretch hose to fit, but gotta work with what I have. If things were different they wouldn't be the same.

John S

I was able to slip the 1 1/2" hose over the 1 3/4 outlet, but I know that will break much sooner than later. Unless I can find the right hose, I will get another hose with a 1 3/4 end and splice it with my existing hose. A short piece of steel 1 1/2 tubing at the splice is my plan- I'll hide the extra hose clamps under the plastic anti-collapse sleeve.

I have looked at both the Be Cool and Summit Radiators. I plugged in my 72 Monte 402 CI to get applications/specs. Looking at the ones supposedly for my Monte, they have 1 1/12" & 1 3/4" dia. outlet openings depending on the model of radiator looked at.

Now it has me wondering why the 2 different sizes. Do you have A/C in yours? Might make a difference but nothing I saw while looking suggested either or.

The upper inlet is 1 1/2" dia. and would expect the lower outlet to be equal with that. But without knowing the theory behind those inlet/outlet diameters, I cant be certain. I believe the thermostat housing is 1 1/2" dia. And my water pump inlet is 1 3/4" dia.

Had you checked to see if you can get a factory fit 1 3/4" dia. outlet and 1 3/4" inlet lower radiator hose for your application assuming your water pump inlet dia. is the same? I actually bought my upper radiator hose from a guy on eBAY who makes/forms them. I am sure he could make you one if all else fails. I believe his eBAY handle was pacecarjeff as I remember.

Here is a pic of the one I bought and installed. Both upper/lower openings are 1 1/2" dia. I was able to purchase the lower hose from a local auto parts but couldn't find the correct upper.

getthumb-2.jpg

Doug

Thanks Doug- I sent a message to pacecarjeff!

(Love this site! Two possible solutions for a crazy problem!)

• 1 month later...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Performance...16&vxp=mtrI found this Think I will use it also

John s

I ended up using this connector- spliced the water pump end off of another stock hose. Be Cool suggested a lower hose from a big block pick up but that didn't work. And I couldn't get Pace Car Jeff to make me a custom hose! This works- life is good!

I had the same 1 3/4 outlet on my radiator also. Local parts house let me browse their selection of hoses and found one that would work. bought hose Gates#21941 and cut 1 3/4" end and used same JEGS connector to clamp together. The angle of the hose matched now all is good.

John S