Converting to bucket seats

i was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has converted to bucket seats and a ballpark of what they spent out the door

thanks, nick

Hi Nick,

I've converted four montes to buckets over the past 10 years. You can expect to pay about the following:

Bucket seats (good rebuildable cores) - $200+

Seat Covers - $225

Console - $350+

Misc Parts - $ 50

I would guess that a few of these estimates may be a little higher these days. I also did all of the work myself. This also does not include changing over the carpets, steering column or dash cluster.

Hope this helps,

Mike

A cheaper way is to buy aftermarket, but only if you don`t care if it`s no longer original. I purchased Procar rally 2000 seats from summit racing.(Don`t let the name "rally" scare you.) Check out the picture on-line, they even say it has a mucle car look. $267.50 plus $49.95 for brackets (each). I even ran into a guy with a 71 monte carlo at cruise that had the exact seats I had. smile

I have a complete interior from a 2001 Monte if anyone wants it. I paid 250 for it on ebay, but will let it go for 200. The drivers seat is power, and it is Charcoal cloth. It includes the two front seat, the back seat, and console. I decided not to put in in my Monte after I found a set of Strato buckets.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to change over to buckets from bench. I bought bucket seats and upholstery and mounting brackets, etc. My problem is I am not sure which way the bracket goes. Does the raised end go to the front or the rear? Anyone having suggestions, please jump in. Also I asked last year for dimensions to mount the console and I was directed to a URL that showed where to cut the hole for the cable and everything. I have lost the information. If someone can give me the dimensions I'd appreciate it. I am finally ready to complete the project.

thanks

The raised side of the bucket seat brackets goes toward the front. Don't do like I did, and have them welded in backwards. Also, remember that your outer holes need to go in 3/4 inch for the seat belt retractors to clear. The 71 buckets that I had had 2 mounting holes for the rear bolts, so I only had to drill new front mounting holes. Yours may be different.

Thanks a bunch Matt, I bolted them to the seats backwards and put the outside bolts in. I could tell something was wrong.