Hellwig Frame FX Kit to Box/stiffen frame

Hellwig Frame FX Kit for ’68-’72 Chevelle

One of the most effective ways to improve the stiffness and handling of a Chevelle is to box the factory chassis. This process could take considerable time with measuring, cutting and fitting steel panels, however Hellwig Products is making the task easy and even more effective with their new custom fit Frame FX kit.

Most Chevelles have an open C-channel chassis that is

only 3” wide at the top and bottom. This design is

inherently weak in handling torsion and marginal in

bending. Hellwig’s Frame FX kit doubles the width of the tension side of the frame rail and closes the area for dramatic increases in torsional and bending stiffness.

The new Frame FX kit is made up 14 pre-cut 10-gauge steel panels that match the thickness of the factory frame and fit into the weak points of the factory chassis. Hellwig also engineered another panel that adds an extra mount to tie the floor to the chassis to add even more strength to the entire car. In addition, brackets are provided to mount the transmission crossmember with enough adjustment to accommodate nearly any drivetrain configuration.

The increased strength that the Frame FX kit provides results in handling and ride quality improvements while retaining the factory chassis and mounting points. If you’re adding a high powered drivetrain and bigger tires, the Frame FX Kit should be in your Chevelle’s future.

Stiffen the factory chassis to improve the overall strength, handling and ride quality

Supplied with 14 pre-formed steel panels that fit in weak areas of each factory frame rail

Adds an extra body mount to secure the floor pan to the chassis for added stability

Transmission crossmember mount allows multiple drivetrain configurations

For more information about the Frame FX line and other Hellwig load and sway control components, check out: Hellwig Products or call 800-367-5480.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

will this be the same as our montes?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hel-11100/applications/

have a 70 that im gonna pull frame in near future and was gonna box the frame.  This seems would make it that much easier and can order it when i order my UMI suspension kit too....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-125-0-96992000-1419946173_thumb.jpg

the install wasn't too bad. The cross member has about 4 inches of adjustment. I have a 700 r4 now and left room for a 4l80 or T56 in the future.

The only thing that was different is the extra body mount install. Basically you weld a plate with a nutzert to the floor cross brace and a new bushing goes there. The monte floor must be slightly different because the bushing didn't sit level and the bracket was 1/4 inch lower than it was supposed to be on the frame side. I put the bushing on the belt sander and took about an 1/8 off to make the bushing square.

I put the frame on screw jack and used a lazer level to measure all the frame heights. The kit comes with chevelle measurements. My car had been hit in the drivers front at some time so I wanted to ensure it was stI'll square. Although a 4 foot level would probably be all you really need.

I used a large ratchet strap to preload the frame rails 1/2 inch and tacked in a brace. The early kits installed where expanding in the center too much probably from welding too fast. Once everything was fitted and tacked I started welding. From the center out welding opposite from the previous welds about an inch each time. Then let those welds cool 20 minutes. It took 2 full days but when I removed the brace the frame was perfect. If anyone has any questions about this kit installation a can give some other tips I figured out along the way. My email is matthewrlee81@gmail.com feel free to email me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've been installing the frame FX kit on my Monte frame too. All I have left is the crossmember and welding the bottom completely. It's not that tough of an install. The biggest problem I think I'll have is getting the brackets for the crossmember in right, since I have a 4l80e the crossmember mount bracket is really close to the extra body mount bracket. I may have to do some trimming on the crossmember bracket, hopefully I'll know soon enough. I'll try to post some pics if I can figure out how.