Sign in to follow this  

engine temperature guage

so i have some sunpro guages hooked up right. two of which worked when i got the car. Oil and Volt meter. The temperature guage is somehow out of wack and im wondering is there anyway i can fix it before i have to go out and buy a whole new 3 pod guage cluster. the current position of the needle is about the 250 degrees F when the car is off and after its been running you can see the needle moves up until it hits the little dicky thing that sticks out at the lowest F which is where the thing should be resting but on the other side. any idea how to rectify this?

You could just replace the one gauge in the pod instead of all three; of course they may not match. See if they have a web sight were you can see the current styles.

Muscle Factory has proper year guages. 1-800-762-0317.

Should have read your post closer. I thought you had factory guages.

Is the temperature gauge electric or manual? Electric will have three wires on the back - positve, negative and sending unit. If so try and remove the ground wire and see if it goes to zero. Manual has a tube running to the engine which could be the problem. Like Lloyd stated you could just replace the one gauge with same diameter as the old one.

If you have electric gauges, and they are connected correctly (and you have confirmed this visually and with a voltlmeter), then about the only reasons a temperature gauge will not work correctly is a faulty gauge or an incorrect or faulty sending unit. In most cases, the sending unit must be grounded in the block which means you should not put any threadsealer on the first several threads.

i have the same problem as 72montecarlo with my water gauage when u turn the stwich over the gauage goes over to 250° and once it starts it goes back to 0° then back to 250°. im thinkin it more of a bad ground since the sender does not have threadsealer on the threads the only thing that has threadsealer is the part thats in the intake.

If you use thread sealer on the sender, you may loose the ground there.

Sign in to follow this