Big motors.. what mufflers are you running?

Daryl

This question is aimed at people who were looking to tame their engine sound a bit. My 489 is a little loud and I was looking at the 50 series flowwmasters and wondering if anyone else was using them or something similar. I currently have some old 2 chambers that sound great but as I stated they are a little loud for cruising. I have installed v-band couplers so I can swap the mufflers out for different occasions. So let’s here what you guys got.

I put a pair of the 50 series flowmasters on my '55, and in my opinion they are great. I am running a radical 406 smallblock with headers. Tamed it alot, just what I was after. Still somewhat loud, but much more streetable. Although I haven't been able to drive it much yet, but did run it down the road. A work in progress. I was shocked it wasn't louder than it is. My two cents.

I had!!! the pypes race pros after the second!!! set had the baffles break and start rattling, I went to flow masters

aren't you in Novi?, maybe we could meet and you hear my exhaust

3" inlet/outlet Dynomax 17770 Hemi Super Turbo's. Love 'em. Nice deep muscle car sound on a 575hp - 468.

They are quiet and flow as well as Flowmasters. Using a full 3" exhaust with an X-pipe and experiencing no resonance. They are 27" long tip to tip (just fit).

As per Dynomax:

"Dyno tests prove it--Dynomax's Super Turbo mufflers are the closest you can get to running an open pipe, but a lot quieter. To make things even better, Super Turbos have more features than most other mufflers put together--less backpressure for improved quarter mile times, aluminized construction for long life and good looks, patented flow directors that channel exhaust for maximum performance, and fiberglass matting for a deep, throaty, powerful performance tone."

The ones I have were disco'd a few years back. I think I got the last set available in the US like two and a half years ago.

DYnomax Performance Mufflers

Dynomax 17770 Hemi Super Turbos

There are many threads like this one that speak highly of them.

Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos

Not sure if any of there current Super Turbo muffler models compare or fit our cars.

This list from Torque techs website may help you decide. Once you choose you exhaust diameter the Flowmaster mufflers get quieter as you move down the list. Muffler list - Torque Tech The guys at torque tech run the mufflers I have but had no more in stock. They told me if I located a set I should grab 'em …. so I did.

Dan

For Sam it was likely the HP and high compression (13:1 from memory) he used to run with his old E85 motor. He has made his 454 more streetable now.

I know the breaking point at which a 3" exhaust may be a benefit is 500hp. It also depends on the gears your running and max rpm engine is expected to run up to at the track.

Not sure where the same point is where a 3.5" is beneficial. Bigger not always better performance wise.

Dan

;

I had!!! the pypes race pros after the second!!! set had the baffles break and start rattling, I went to flow masters

Wow Sam sorry you had a bad experience with the Race Pros. I have had a set on my car for 3 years and all is good. 14" case 3" inlet outlet. Although not a big inch engine it is ok for a pump gas s/b. The x-pipe helps quiet it down.

Borlas would be a good choice although a little heavy on the wallet.

David

600 HP is the point where you need the 3 1/2" exhaust

if you are not making 600HP, I would strongly advise going to a 3"

a 3 1/2" is a loud exhaust with any mufflers

Dan is correct, I "had" a 12:1, 468 that I made it into the 10's, now running a 460 (.030 over 454) with 9.5 compression, great! little street engine shifter

Just found this formula from an article by David Vizard who is supposdly respected (?). It was published in Super Chevy magazine.

According to the article you need to flow 2.2 CFM (cubic feet per minute) of exhaust per 1 HP. Therefore you first need to know what your flywheel HP is, and multiply it by 2.2

So for an example:

If your engine produces 500 HP at the crankshaft, then that's 500 x 2.2=1,100 CFM. Now remember that because you're using dual exhaust and therefore will have two exhaust pipes (left and right) then you need to divide this total CFM figure by2. So that's 1,100 CFM cut in half.... or 1,100 divided by 2=550 CFM. So you'll need an exhaust pipe diameter that will flow 550 CFM. with that in mind here are the pipe diameters and their flow rates.

2.5" dia. = 560CFM ….. Good to 509 HP @ crank ……. 509 x 2.2= 1120 CFM produced -- 1120 CFM divided by 2=560 CFM per pipe needed(dual exhaust)

3.0" dia. = 672CFM ….. Good to 611 HP @ crank ……… 611 x 2.2= 1344 CFM produced -- 1344 CFM divided by 2=672 CFM per pipe needed(dual exhaust)

3.5" dia. = 784CFM .... Good to 713 HP @ crank

4.0" dia. = 896CFM ….. Good to 814 HP @ crank

…..so just do the math above using your engine's HP and you'll be able to determine the cfm's your engine produces which translates to how big of an exhaust pipe diameter you'll need. Obviously, other factors like mandrel bent tubing, % of straight vs bent tubing, and better header design for scavenging and exhaust flow that will effect optimal performance.

NOTE:

Every muffler manufacturer will list the max cfm's that a particular muffler can flow. Be sure to match your mufflers with the cfm demand your engine requires. If you are running dual exhaust remember that each muffler only needs to have a max cfm of half what your engine produces.

Dan

Dynomax Super Turbo here as well.

Chambered design vs the Ultra Flow straight through design.

I used these to calm down my 454 that had some loud no-name mufflers.

Shawn

looks like I'm in the neighborhood with 3" pipes running around 650hp. I'm just going to have to hit some more car shows and hear what others have. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the flowmaster 50s for now. Thanks for posting the Tech info, very helpful.

Originally Posted By: Sam (Bones)

Wow Sam sorry you had a bad experience with the Race Pros. I have had a set on my car for 3 years and all is good. 14" case 3" inlet outlet. Although not a big inch engine it is ok for a pump gas s/b. The x-pipe helps quiet it down.

Borlas would be a good choice although a little heavy on the wallet.

David

Sam - I hope Pypes has fixed that problem! I have the Race Pros as well (3" system) and am very happy.....so far....

Resonably quiet, no drone, sounds great.

• 5 months later...

Hi everybody :2beers: it has been a while but I figured I would see what was gooing on on the forum and found my favorite topic! 

I have done some videos for this purpose on youtube.  If you search for Scott Heck or 1971 Monte Carlo you will probably find them.  I recorded a couple different sets of flowmaster mufflers, with and without tailpipes, spintech mufflers, and magnaflows.  The flowmaster without tailpipes definitely sounds the best but it was LOUD.  I have the magnaflow now and like them a lot.  Spintech did not impress me at all unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-9QYhaA_VA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlWalKMmsMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZcS4HTmgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbVU_ZCF0AY