replace rear main seal

bigscaht

hey guys..i have developed a rear main seal leak..dam and the car isnt even on the road yet. so is it possible to replace this without dropping the tranny or removing the motor from the car???

I thought mine was leaking too. Turned out to be a small chunk of cork from the old valve cover gasket wasn't completly removed causing oil to run down the rear of the motor......I was a happy camper when I found that problem.

well yesterday i went home and got under there and checked things out. turns out its not the rear main seal..thank god..its actuallu the tranny leaking from the speedo bullet thing. time to replace the o rings on that. seems easy enough to do but where can i get those o rings from?????

Are you sure it's the o-ring leaking and not the gear seal itself inside the Bullet? Mine was leaking due to the gear seal, and I just replaced the whole Bullet from here. They also have just the o-ring. Page down about half way. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm

Yes it is a cool site.  Just a heads up, have an Oil pan ready when you pull the old Bullet out.  I made the mistake of not thinking much Transmission fluid would come out and flooded the Garage floor.  Oops.

• 1 year later...

I am about to do the same to my Monte. It is a 1970 with a 350/350TH and a 2.73 open rear. I am running 235 60 R15 tires. I figure since I am changing the bullett out I should put a new speedometer gear in to correct the speedometer.

I am having a problem finding the new color and number of teeth I need for the new gear. All of the websites ask for the old color/teeth info. Is there a way to determine what should be in there from the factory without removing the original? I am trying to get it completed all at the same time without making a mess of the garage floor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brent

Brent, the link here has great info for determining driven gears and color combinations....

http://chevelleengineer.home.comcast.net/~chevelleengineer/speedo.htm

You really should pull your driven gear to verify the color so you know which gear you need to order.

• Like 1