72 Custom, Buildsheet Special Order Box has FZ.

Joe Vega

I finally found my buildsheet last night after having misplaced it 2 years ago. My question is in box 25 Special Order, it has a noticable FZ and looks to have either a C or O with a dash just before that code. Its a Van Nuys build sheet. Does anyone here now what that means? Thanks,Joe

Joe, my '70 SS was built in Van Nuys and that build sheet (like the one shown in our Tech Info section) has the title of "Model" in Box 25.  Of course the Model number for all first gen Montes is 13857.  I don't see any box titled "Special Order" on this Build Sheet but maybe a '72 Build sheet was different.  Are you sure the Build Sheet you are looking at is for a first gen Monte?

Hey Joe, and Dennis. Hope this helps maybe.... Box 25 is the Model Number Box and Box Number 60 is the Special Order Box in 1970 and 1971. 1972 was different and is Box 25. when I use to do GM recalls and GM warranty paperwork from what I can remember through Oshawa that FZ stood for Field Zone and that CO combined was Central Office. Like a Eastern or Western or Southern Reginal District, when Dealer Principals or Dealership Owners got a Demo car to drive once approved from Reginal District office we use to tag it a FZ vehicle and allow them to put on 5000 miles and then turn it back in and sold as a Demo. The dealership would be refered to as a DZ on the Build sheet as well at the very bottom in the middle you will always see a Dealer Zone Number which is assigned to each GM dealership. Some Buildsheets will show the selling Dealership name is the bottom left corner but the Vehicle was dropped off or shipped to a different Dealer hence the Zone number and then sent by autohauler to the Dealerships and also reflect on the Buildsheet as Transport or Gas fee or Drop Fee. Everything on the buildsheet tied in to what we used for Warranty and Recalls even some 20 years later. It was a really good system.. Hope that helps or makes sence...

Darren 

Oh another interesting bit of info seeing how its tied into GM recalls and Warranty stuff I use to do. Have you ever noticed or wondered why on engines and heads and intakes and diffs and such that there was what appears to be a Clock with no numbers but filled in triangles.......

well that was to help distinguish weather the parts were made on what shift, morning or afternoon so if there was a recall on lets say split blocks and it was narrowed down to blocks made on the afternoon shift they would send out notices and have the dealer look at the clock image to see if it may be suspect by showing am or pm it was manufactured on and go from there instead of working on every car that came in.... there were lots of cool tips and tricks and markings.

Darren 

Darren, thanks for sharing that information. I think you could probably write a great article for the newsletter. I'd like to know more about the buildsheets and how the ordering, build and delivery process worked.

Dan

Darren - I agree with Dan that we should write up a tech spec on how to read the build sheet, let me know if you need assistance as I am more than happy to help you out as I have zero knowledge on how to read build sheet but I am good with building up a spreadsheet or documentation :)

Rick

Joe, my '70 SS was built in Van Nuys and that build sheet (like the one shown in our Tech Info section) has the title of "Model" in Box 25.  Of course the Model number for all first gen Montes is 13857.  I don't see any box titled "Special Order" on this Build Sheet but maybe a '72 Build sheet was different.  Are you sure the Build Sheet you are looking at is for a first gen Monte?

This was the buildsheet I save from either the top of the gas tank or just under the carpet. I found two and one fell apart as soon I touched it, It shows the vin on the top right hand which is the same as the title.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve, probably not misunderstanding anything. GM still used what was left over of the Buildsheets from 1970 on some 1971 cars till they were all gone. So your car may be an early 71 production and has the 70 spread sheet and appears as 1970's did and that is what is confusing and the fact the strike was on and still may have been printed out before strike on old sheet or simply your car may have been ordered in 1970 most likey and printed as ordered on the 1970 form and when built and completed and delivered the new sheets were being used and yours was done by then.

There was also 2 US Plants that had their own rules as well such as using broadcast sheet like Oshawa did and also never leaving Buildsheets in their cars and having employees turn them in after completion or verification on work done for Quality Control as we all now know Flint was one of those plants...... try and find a build sheet from a Flint Plant car...... Atlants had lots sometimes even 3 for each car but mostly 2 which have heard of as well here.

Darren.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Joe, and Dennis. Hope this helps maybe.... Box 25 is the Model Number Box and Box Number 60 is the Special Order Box in 1970 and 1971. 1972 was different and is Box 25. when I use to do GM recalls and GM warranty paperwork from what I can remember through Oshawa that FZ stood for Field Zone and that CO combined was Central Office. Like a Eastern or Western or Southern Reginal District, when Dealer Principals or Dealership Owners got a Demo car to drive once approved from Reginal District office we use to tag it a FZ vehicle and allow them to put on 5000 miles and then turn it back in and sold as a Demo. The dealership would be refered to as a DZ on the Build sheet as well at the very bottom in the middle you will always see a Dealer Zone Number which is assigned to each GM dealership. Some Buildsheets will show the selling Dealership name is the bottom left corner but the Vehicle was dropped off or shipped to a different Dealer hence the Zone number and then sent by autohauler to the Dealerships and also reflect on the Buildsheet as Transport or Gas fee or Drop Fee. Everything on the buildsheet tied in to what we used for Warranty and Recalls even some 20 years later. It was a really good system.. Hope that helps or makes sence...

Darren 

On my 1971 Box 25 is for Special Order and Box 76 is for Model. It was built in Van Nuys.