1 3/4 tube headers for small block

Jason72

I am having trouble finding a set of 1 3/4 inch long tube headers for my 72 with a small block. The car has a/c that I am not against modifying the a/c box to make them fit. I was told by the Summit tech guys that any header for a 1972 Chevelle will fit. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

That statement is untrue in my experience.  Had you tried looking at Doug Thorely Headers for a 1 3/4" tube set?  While mine is a BB w/ factory AC, those are the ones I went with and were specific for a 1st Gen Monte.  When I see advertisements that say fits Chevelles, Monte Carlos etc. etc. for the same model headers, I say beware.

Doug

Hey Jason, I'm running a set of Hookers on a sbc350 w/AC. My only complaint is the clearance for the starter, I had to go with a mini starter and I purchased the recommended AC bracket. I made a slight modification to this bracket also. When I installed the headers, my 71 Monte was an automatic, I have since UPGRADED to a Muncie M20. :yay: Nothing like bangin' a few gears! No modifications were needed when making this conversion.

If I had to do over again, or should I say when, I would go with mid-length headers vs full length. I lowered the front end a bit and am always worried about the headers hitting something as the collector/flange is the lowest point.  

The ones I got for my 350 are advertised as 1 3/4 but mesure 1.67 od they are patriots but are for angle plug heads. I know someone that used them on his 70 monte and fit fine except he did have to change the shifter arm that goes from coloum to trans but lokar makes one that fits fine. Dont know if that will help you. I havent put mine on yet but he did.

Jason,

Here is an old thread in regards to 1 3/4" primary headers for s/b first gen montes. http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5469-sb-headers/

I purchased these and had Flowmaster ball socket collectors welded on. They are a great piece for the price. They will not fit A/C cars. I have a delete kit on my car. Still retains the heater function.

Short of a custom set the shoenfelds are a great option.

David

David, Do you have any pics of the header on the right side near the fire wall? I saw specs on a header that the longest distance out from the flange was 5 inches.( I cant find it now) But anyway, I think I can get 5 inches in there with a slight mod to the a/c box. Thanks. Jason

David, Do you have any pics of the header on the right side near the fire wall? I saw specs on a header that the longest distance out from the flange was 5 inches.( I cant find it now) But anyway, I think I can get 5 inches in there with a slight mod to the a/c box. Thanks. Jason

I can go out and shoot a pic but the way the tubes run I just don't think they will work with a standard a/c box

I have Hooker headers on my 72 but do not know the part number. I also have an AC car and had a friend make me a special bracket to mount the AC compressor. He looked at what I wanted to do took a couple of measurements and the next week I had my bracket in hand. I would take a picture of it but you cannot see the bracket with the compressor on the car.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The compressor mounting is not my issue, I have a serp set up (see pics)

I am after the header fitting in near the a/c box. I have a pretty good amount of space there now but I guess it all depends how the tubes run...

post-1290-0-37154800-1415148375_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-17233400-1415148393_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-42148800-1415148411_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-72050500-1415148446_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-11305100-1415148481_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

was wondering if relocating the ac box under dash with like a vintage air setup would the schoenfeld headers work then?

Probably would work since the firewall would be smoothed out on the passenger side. 

David

• 3 months later...

I'm looking for a set of full length headers for my all stock 1970 monte 350 car with A/c but does have a 200-4r trans. But I'm not looking for 1 3/4 tube headers I just want a set that's going to fit well and I wont have to modify to much to put them on. Can anyone recommend a good set? 

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-68290/overview/year/1972/make/chevrolet/model/monte-carlo

Had these on an older engine. They fit well but IIRC you will need to fab up a spacer and have a longer bolt for the P/S bracket mount. Plug clearance was good and no issues with the a/c compressor.

Just noticed that they come with the ball socket collector flanges. No more leaky collector gaskets!!!

You can purchase the ceramic coated for about 300.00 more.

David

My FlowTech headers were a direct bolt in and have no clearance issues with any of the stock equipment... full size starter, A/C components, 200-r4 trans.... I took them and had them ceramic coated and am pleased with the look and fit. There is enough room to remove and install the small block with the headers attached to the engine even.