70 rotors

I don't know if they used more than one tyoe of rotor or not but those are different than what is on my very original low mileage 70 and different than what was on my original, purchased from the dealer 70 Monte. Both of my 70's rotors had a groove that runs all the pad surface of the rotor half way between the outer edge and raised portion of the hub but the one you pictured is smooth all the way accross the brake pad surface.

Rob

mine are as Rob described (they are even dated A 70). These are 2 piece rotors, they have a replaceable disc that is bolted to the hub (disc is not available now), maybe someone replaced the disc while they were still available. This type of rotor was also used on '67-'69 Z28's and are very pricey.

My '70 built in February had the two-piece hub and rotors with no groove (first photo).  However, my '70 built in October '69 also had two-piece hubs but both rotors had grooves as Rob also mentioned (second photo). 

What appears odd is that one of the hubs had a series of holes drilled in the side (balancing, ventilation or what?) and the groove in the rotor was more to the outside.  I'm guessing it was an early replacement from another GM product.  Does anyone recognize the non-standard hub in the third photo below?

post-567-0-44600000-1417623714_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-73316700-1417624200_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-02219900-1417624260_thumb.jpg

The groove I am talking about, if I remember correctly, went all the way around and was centered, lnside to outside, of the pad wear area, not along the outside or inside edg as mentioned and pictured by Dennis. My current and original Monte's were late 70 production cars.

Rob.

The holes on the side are for balancing the rotor. I used to balance armatures for starters and generators and after a while one could get quite good at guessing how many and deep to drillt he holes to get hem balanced. It was a fun job but boring after a while because that is all you do all day long, Man I DO NOT MISS those days at all. Retirement is great. retirement is good I just wished I could have done it sooner afore all of the old age health problems started popping up. But this is better than the alternative of pushing up Daisy s. :rofl:  :yay:  :2beers:  :fart:  

• 4 weeks later...

Mine's a hybrid... I have one front rotor with the groove, one without. I -had- been thinking that one was replaced, but now I'm not so sure...