Posting Member Picture

MC-71

Been here a long time. Never tried to figure how to post pictures. I think I'm closer now. I'm trying to post my member picture. I'm taking it out of my browser. I'm being told it's too large and that it needs to be cropped. It should be 200px or larger. My picture is 2.11mb. Can anyone guide me through like a baby? Thanks.

Carl,

The photo or image you want to load as your avatar was probably taken with a digital camera, most of which default to a high resolution image which requires a large number of digits to represent.  Cropping an original photo may be necessary to trim away extraneous surroundings from your main object but that probably won't be enough.  Instead, you will need to resize your high resolution photo to a much lower resolution (and smaller size). 

The easiest way is to use a free on-line software app of which there are many.  I use PICRESIZE.COM.  Just go to their website and browse your own computer files to select the photo you want to resize.  After you select your photo and click on "Open", their program will upload your photo and then give you an opportunity to edit it (i.e. crop, rotate) if you want.  Then, it will ask you how you want to resize your photo.  You can do it as a percentage of reduction (i.e. 50%) or specify a custom size (i.e. 200 px wide) which is the last option on the drop down menu.  Note that you should only specify the width so the program can maintain the original aspect ratio and will automatically calculate the height.

Now, if you want, you can select and apply any special effects (I never do).  Finally, click on the box that says "I'm Done, Resize My Picture!"  Now you can click on "View Image" to see your resized photo (should look the same but be much smaller) and/or click on "Save to Disk" which will place it back on your computer in the same folder where the original picture was uploaded from.  Note that it will have a similar but slightly different file name than the original.  Also, note that you do NOT have to download their program or buy anything to use it online this way.

Now you can edit your FGMCC Profile and load your new resized photo as your avatar.  It's actually easier than it sounds.  Good luck.

Dennis, Without going into too much detail. Here is where I'm at. I'm able to navigate through picresizes web site. My problem is that they keep telling me the picture is too large. I have downsized to 200x150, 100x75, 50x38 and 30x30 pixels. I can't get them to transfer the picture. Any hint? Thanks for the help.

Carl Hanson

PS   Did you know I bought a condo in Vero Beach?

Carl, if you will attach the photo file to an email and send it to me at dbengtson4@comcast.net I will see if I can get it resized and send it back to you.  It's probably not practical to try to resolve this issue on this forum.

Yes, I think I saw an earlier post where you had purchased a condo in Vero Beach ... welcome to Florida!  We are finally going to have some glorious Florida winter weather ... a whole week of low to mid-70s for highs!  Highs have been in the 80's almost constantly for the past two months which is too hot with this high humidity (unless you care to live at the beach or by the pool all day long).  Are you living in Florida now?

Congratulations, Carl!  You got it done in spite of the error in the FGMCC Profile Update software.  The limit on avatar size is 50 kb, not 100 kb as the software error message states.

Larry, Carl was just trying to create his avatar and he has been successful as you can see.  You may have thought he was trying to include a photo in his post but that will probably come next.

Thanks Dennis. Alot of the mistakes are on me. My daughter Cara also helped me out and you to make this happen. I can't thank you enough. Not only the sive was a factor but I was not renaming the file correct. Got it now. Yes I will be posting larger pictures soon.

Carl

Check out the Gallery under 71 Monte. I did post pictures last night. Let me know what you all think.

• Like 1