headers...

John Burns

I'm kind of obsessive when it comes to little noises, taps and squeaks.  Trying to chase them in a 40+ year old car is a challenge!  A couple of weeks ago I dropped a new motor into the Monte (long story) and the weather finally let me get some seat time this weekend.  The thing runs great but there was this weird rattle or whistle coming from what seemed to be the carb.  It would go away when I put my hand over the throat of the carb- of course it would try to stall at the same time.  I kept driving it and the rattle changed a little- but the "whistle" was still there.  I then took a closer look under car and found a 1/2" pipe plug I had dropped laying on the header tubes.  Somehow this plug was causing a weird resonation back through the carb.  I have found rocks, hardware, tools, etc. on headers before, but none that made that sort of bizarre noise.  Now I'm off to find the 14 other little squeaks and rattles!  ;)