Trim Removal

I am having trouble removing some of the trim from my car to have some touchup done. The trim I am having trouble with is 1) some of the vinyl roof trim. I have all the rear vinyl roof trim off of the Sail Panels and across the rear. The vinyl trim I am having trouble with is where it starts at the upper rear of the rear side windows all the way to the front and across the front. The rest of the vinyl roof trim came off easily.

2) I am also removing all of the drip moulding trim. The pieces I am having trouble with on this is the trim which runs horizontal to the ground and is above the side windows. The vertical pieces and corners came off with no trouble.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rob

I just thought of another question. The plastic retainer clips which snap onto the little studs, Can replacements be purchased anywhere. These plastic retainers have a hole large enough to slip over the little stud and then narrow down so the head of the stud hole them into place when they are slid into the narrow area.

Rob

Rob the side and across the front Halo trim is all held on by the same plastic clips you are describing . it should all snap onto the plastic parts with the exception of the lower rear corners which have the studs/nuts. only advice i have is carefully lifting .

the side trim above the windows kinda snaps onto the drip rail of the body .if you look up from inside the car you can see a line in the trim which is what clips to the rail . the one set i removed though did have some adhesive sort of goop as well . from the bottom edge carefully lift as though you are trying to roll the trim off the drip rail. kind of like you were using a bottle opener. i fact maybe thats what i used .just go a little at a time and work the whole length slowly off .be sure to pad the stainless so as not to scratch it .this was about 30 yrs ago though on my first Monte. i hope my memory helps you .( disclaimer...the mind is the first to go)

mike

Thanks Mike. Tonight I went up and gave it another stab. I got all of the drip moulding off tonight and the rest of the vinyl roof trim. (for everyone who knows my car you know I really mean the Two Tone trim rather than the vinyl top trim. Now I have another question. I don't think this trim has ever been off and I found that there are several different clips used for this vinyl top trim. Most of the plastic clips are black and just snap onto the studs. Of course you have the two rear pot metal pieces which have a stud attached to the trim piece are really not a clip. Now the other clips. On each side of the sail panels (that hold the horizontal trim piece, there is one of these black clips on each side which is nearest the rear side windows, then the next two clips are white in color and are held on with a screw and then the last clip nearest the pot metal piece is a clip which is made out of metal with plastic fingers and these have a stud on them which pass through the body and are held on the same way as the pot metal pieces. Across the rear, it uses mostly the black clips which snap onto the studs but the two clips nearest the pot metal corners are exactly like the ones described before with the little plastic fingers.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

The only way I have found to remove the drip rail moldings is I started at the front by the windshield up underneath the molding, and with a putty knife I got it started and then just ran the knife towards the back of the car, peeling the bottom of the molding off, then the top pops free. But I must warn you that it kind of twisted mine a little bit, I was told that they would go back on and be straight but havent tried it yet because they were a real pain to get off. Good luck.