Console door - squeak cure

John Burns

My 70 came with a console and it even had the door attached.  The door is cracked and missing pieces, so I removed it and just left the console open.  Those doors make me nuts because how cheap they feel- the two halves rub together and make that annoying plastic squeak.  I never really intended to replace it, but I got tired of looking at and listening to the junk I store banging around in the console.  I dug the door back out and installed it, and when I leaned on it with my elbow while driving- squeak!  So, I came up with a cure.  I sprayed "Great Stuff" spray foam (blue can) between the two halves.  Amazing the difference!  No squeak, and the door has a little weight to it now so it doesn't feel cheap!  I am going to get a repop door and do the same thing.

Of course, after thinking about this some more, I'm going to stuff the repop with some dense packaging foam before going to the foam spray!