Hey guys, so I was wondering about tire fitment. I have the stock 15x8 wheels, and I want to put 295/50 in the rear and 245/60 in the front (no, the front is not taller than the rear, I checked). I know the tires fit the wheels. I'm worried about the rear 295 fitting in the fender without issue. Also, and this isn't as important because it's a few years away, but whats the widest rim I should run in the Monte? I was thinking about some 18x10s down the road, so I can get some more high performance tires and give it that pro touring look.

Hey guys, so I was wondering about tire fitment. I have the stock 15x8 wheels, and I want to put 295/50 in the rear and 245/60 in the front (no, the front is not taller than the rear, I checked). I know the tires fit the wheels. I'm worried about the rear 295 fitting in the fender without issue. Also, and this isn't as important because it's a few years away, but whats the widest rim I should run in the Monte? I was thinking about some 18x10s down the road, so I can get some more high performance tires and give it that pro touring look.

Here's lot's of info for you to browse... :)  http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3188-wheel-and-tire-data-base/

Thanks, after reading it I see a lot of 4 1/2 b.s. with 255, so I'm probably going to go with what Sam said, 5-5 1/2

if you have the corvette style wheels, with less back spacing, you will have issues with a 295/50, a 295/50 would probably fit with a 5 or 5 1/2" back space

Although Sam, something I'm wondering is how much b.s. the Vette rally's have? And if that is adjustable? (before you say it, yeah I'm pretty un-knowledgeable about this stuff)

Backspacing is very critical when trying to fit large tires...do you have tires on the rims now? If so you will need a straight edge just slightly bigger than 15" so you can lay it on the lip and not have the tire sidewall getting in your way. I have a set of original Corvette wheels also and if I can remember correctly they were like what Sam said and are 4 1/2" or even possibly 4 1/4". I have them in storage otherwise I would measure them for you. Regardless you will have to measure yours when you get a chance because they could be aftermarket ones that have 5" of B.S. (which would benefit you).

There are companies out there that can even remove the center section of your wheel and give you exactly the B.S. you want...will be costly though.

So since it doesn't look like the 295's will fit, I'm going to go with 255 since it's already on the car and I've read a lot of guys saying that's what they're running with not B.S. issues. Bill, no I don't thankfully. I'm probably going to but the tires before July because I'm heading to California for a month and my dad will want to move the car out of the garage

Another vote for 255/60R15s here, they look natural on the car and it rides pretty nice with them on it. I'll be going 17x8 w/ a 4.5-5" backspace with 255/45R17 Nitto NT555 when I get my suspension done, 

I have 275 50 15's  on my 15x8s with the standard offset and not rubbing but just by the skin of my teeth. Drivers side I had to trim the wheel well stainless and thats it the rear 1/4 was good on that side too. 295's must be slightly wider than a 275 ? in a 50 series. The T/A in a 275 50 15 is almost impossible to find though.

Darren.

20150125_130722_resized_1_zpsospb1vrg.jp

295s will be 20mm wider than a 275, or around 5/8", give or take a bit. 

Tire size is width in mm/sidewall height in percentage of tread width R (radial) or D (bias) and wheel diameter in inches for metric sizing, or diameter in inches x width in inches R (or D) rim diameter in inches.

So, a 31x10.50R15 is 31 inches in diameter, 10.5 inches wide on a 15" wheel, and a 295/50R15 is 295mm wide with a sidewall height of  147.5mm on a 15" wheel. 

• Like 1