Rim size questions

J@meson

Hello all, I haven't had a chance to type up a introduction post yet but I assure you I will soon.

Long story short I bought a 70 Monte, it has ugly 20's on it and I want to put stock rallys back on but would like to go 15x8 front and 15x10 rear or 16x8 front and 16x10 rear.

I'm from the gbody world, and have basic knowledge of the abody world. So I don't know how wide you can go in the rear, I've searched and found 8in is fine up front but nothing about max rear width.

Thanks in advance!

Jameson First off welcome to the site.

As for your rim question the stock rally wheel size would be 15x7 all the way around. I have a 70 which has seen 15x7 with 225/70 tires on the front and 15x8 with 275/60 tire to a 15x10 with 295/50 under the rear. I did run it a few years with 16x7 in the front and 16x8 in rear with 255/50 all the way around it on chrome rally wheels. I have since went back to a 15x7 and 15x8 rally setup with a 26x8 tire on the 7" rim and a 26x10 on the 8". Take a look at this post http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3188-wheel-and-tire-data-base/ it kinda gives you a run down on what people like and some have posted pictures of their setups.

it will be very hard (not impossible) to get a 15" or16" x 10" wheel on the back of a monte

I "had" 15 x 9 with 5 1/2" back spacing, with a 275/60 x 15, it was a very! tight fit on both the inside and outside

Thank you all for the info, I was looking at Wheel Vintiques on summit racing of there replica rally wheels and there for where I was getting the sizes as they offer the rallys in 16in and up to 10in wide. Ive read the chrome wheel trim needs to be clearanced to get a 10in wide on, I would like to run a 275 rear and I know it can be done on a 8in but I also would like the wheel lip difference between the front and rear to give the illusion of a wide rear tire.

the lip is very wide on a monte, you can trim them some, but if you take to much, there is a void there and the inner wheel house can separate from the quarter panel because you will cut off the spot welds

Jameson here is a picture of my Monte back when it had the 16" wheels on it HPIM0109.jpg it had 16x7 with 4"bs on the front and 16x8 with 4.5"bs tires was 255x50 no rub in the front and none in the rear. When I went back to the 15's I know the backspacing would work in the 15" size as well. The picture in my signature has the 15x7 with 4"bs and 15x8 with 4.5"bs.