brake question or idea!!!

bigscaht

ive ordered the wilwood brake set up for the fronthttp://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-11290-r/applications/

and was thinking since I also want to do a rear disk conversion...was wondering..if i found the right brackets could i use my old front calipers on the rear?????

Those look like nice calipers. When I was original planing the brakes for the 72 I was going to go with all Wilwood brakes kits, but I already had stock front rotors and front calipers were cheap $15. The Wilwood rear disc setup on the 72 (-the brake shoe pin breaking) is a clean setup. The caliper is a 4 piston design with 4 bleeder points (two on the back and two on the front). The parking brake is a drum setup inside the rotor and you have to buy their cable kit and figure out how to make it work. On the 72 we used the stock parking brake pedal and front parking brake cable tied the rear cables on the stud for the front cable.

Ahhhh I didn't think about the parking brake....lol..yeah these fit behind my 15" rallys..so I might go with their rear set up also..and I was thinkin bout moving the parking brake lever to between the seats like on newer cars...hummmm time for more research

Scott,  I know that you understand that the rear doesn't handle much of the load in whoa power.   And the last thing that you want is the back end swapping places with the front because they locked up first.   I was going to do the 14" CTS-V swap but ended up putting new 13" C5 Vett' binders on the front of my '72, to be able to keep them inside my 17" wheels...   and with the 13s up front, I just went with S-10 Blazer 10.5's on the rear.   

On Friday I saw a set of Camaro rear discs (probably 2004-2006?) at the local parts yard...  I think that I paid about $75 for the entire set-up last time that I pulled a set, which included the backing plates.  And the Camaro has the middle actuator that you were considering, as well. I could look today to see if they are still there if you'd like.   I live about an hour north of Sac.

yeah i understand that the rear is only like 30% of the braking power with the front doing the rest. yeah that would be great if you could do that...ill be up that way this weekend i belive and could grab them from ya if you get em.

Hey Scott,

I was at the parts yard for you as they opened this morning, but someone had discovered the brakes over the weekend and grabbed them up.  They left the backing plates on the car... so, I figured that after making the journey down to the facility that I would at least grab those;  but when I pulled the differential cover, I saw that they will be there a while yet, as the pinion shaft retaining bolt was stripped.   So, today we struck out completely.

They do turn over a lot of cars here, so if you'd like, I'll keep my eye out for another set for you.   And they do have a set of rear discs on a 2001 S10/Blazer right now.  They too are a direct bolt-on for our cars. (They're what I mentioned that I had picked up for my '72.)  What's nice about them, is that they use a 'high hat' style E brake inside the rotor like the Lincoln/Cadi's.   Doug 

• 11 months later...