Sign in to follow this  
KICKFORD

After market quarterpanels and wheelhouses

Has anyone had good luck with the aftermarket quarterpanel skins i know they are thinner than the original. I have been read that the newer stuff has a better rust preventative coating and that the original panels were thicker because they were not as well protected by paint or rustproofing and that is the biggest reason they were thicker. But do the aftermarkets look good, fit well and do they dent easy? Oh and do the chevelle outer wheelhouses fit the monte's if they are tweeked or modified a little?

Kickford,

The after market ones are thinner because they aren't as good as the NOS GM and it has nothing to do with it being that they are better protected from rust. The NOS GM panels go up into the roof which includes the sail panel and are welded in the area where the sail panel makes the bend into the roof where most, if not all, after market panels only go up to maybe the bottom of the sail panel or not even that far.

Regarding if the after market will dent or ding easier because they are not as heavy, I would say that any metal which is thinner will dent and ding much easier than one that is thicker and stronger. I would think it would be easier to see ripple in a thinner panel also.

Regarding the fit, I haven't heard a lot about the fit and look of the after market panels so I would suspect that isn't as much of a concern.

Regarding the Chevelle outer wheelhouse's, I have seen several people here on the site who have written posts regarding the modification of the Chevelle outer whelhouse and it does require some substantial modification to get them to fit. I will try to give you some links here.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000020

Here, a picture is worth a thousand words... http://www.firstgenmc.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000171

Here is a link where Alex describes the process: http://www.firstgenmc.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004646

I hope this helps you out some

Rob

The aftermarket panels are easy to dent and depending on the way they are attached "welded/ spot welded" can ripple the metal. the upper section of the quarters is not bent at the correct angle so it will need to be trimed and bent down. you could also glue the panels on but would require screws put through the quarter until the glue is dry then weld the holes shut or fill them with glue. also the wheel wheel areas require triming as well they put to much metal there.

alex

I appreciate the help guys but i know that thinner metal will dent easier i just wanted to know if anyone has put a set of these things on successfully with minor problems and if they are prone to getting dented very easy. I know i could weld them on very well if they were a correct fit panel. The full NOS quarter panels are out of the question they are an arm and a leg. I don't want to pay $1800.00 for just a set of quarters. I have talked to several people at different suppliers about the Goodmark full quarter panels for the Chevelle and they are the same guage as these Monte skins are. I would hope that Super Chevy Magazine that has done the Goodmark Chevelle and Camaro would not put somthing on so thin that it would dent easily but you just never know.

Thank's for the response guys and i would like more info from anyone?

Hey Hey

Kickford check out my web page (tripod)the quarters I used I have put on two different bodys and yes they saw the road on the first body but not on the second

Dave

Alex (Alexs72FGMC who posted above) installed my Quarter Panel skins that I bought from The Paddock.

They were thin, and they were a little tricky to install. Welding them on caused enough heat to ripple them a little and we needed to apply a skincoat of bondo to correct that.

Overall though, with the paint on... you can barely tell they aren't just the original metal. I am wary of people leaning against my car though, as the metal will bow under the pressure more than I would like. But, it springs back into place... I just avoid it like the plague anyway.

But yes, The skins work just fine for a daily driver (which is what my car is). I honestly see no point in putting $2000 quarter panels on my car since I'd then KILL MYSELF if someone ever hit me or if they got a little rusty/beat from being on a daily driver.

Hey thanks for the input guys keep them coming!

Hey Midshipman i remember meeting you at Woodward Dream Cruise right? Hows it going! I was probably the only guy there without my car. Question when you and alex put those quarters on did you use a flanging tool to lap weld the skins on or did you weld them edge to edge? My autobody instructor says i should lap weld them with my flanging tool! And i cant remember exactly were you welded them right near the top of the bodyline? I only have a bad area just around the wheelwell lip and i might just cut a 2" area off of the new skins and a 2" area away from the wheelwell opening on my quarters and attach by butt welding just the small piece i need because other than that my quarters are perfect! But i need enough area cut away to get at and fix just the very edge of the outerwheelhouses. Welding them new pieces on will be a tedious job. So to be carefull not to warp the metal i will cool the stitches alot between between welds. I am hoping by doing this, 99% of the original quarter panel will still be there for strength. They do not sell just a patch panel for the wheelwell area that is what i really need! I can get the quarter skins at C.A.R.S. in Berkley MI without paying any shipping so i think it might just be worth $179.00 each to try to salvage most of the original quarters and if it does not work i will only have lost on skin. I will make sure one side is straight before i move to the other. If i put the full skins on i will flange weld them for strength. So worse case senario i would scrap one quarter skin. Oh well its worth a try when you think about what a set of NOS quarterpanels cost. $179.00 is a drop in the bucket Compared to that. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!! I would much rather put that kind of money into my engine or a professional paint job.

Hey kickford,

I was there at woodward to i was without my car as well lol. we did not have a flanging tool did not think about it at the time grantite i was offered the use of one but wasn't sure of the flange working on the top crease without causing an issue there. but probably could have done it on the vertical face on the upper edge like datadave did his. what i did which you can see in the photos of his post on mollies resto. i lapped the horzontal face of the new quarter over the horizontal face of the original quarter. with 3/4 inch to 1 inch of metal overlapping. then welding it in by spot welding every 12 or so inches then working my way back around and closing the gap with each pass. I REALLY EMPHASIZE TO TAKE YOUR TIME DONT RUSH I MADE THAT MISTAKE WHICH RIPPELED THE QUARTER ON THE BACK END OF THE QUARTER. plus the thin metal of the replacement quarter did not help either but we worked with what we had. now with the flange tool since your working on the area around the wheel wheel you can use the flanging tool around most of it i am not sure if you can use it near or on the creases of the body lines? ask a body shop on that for insite. after flanging the area then drill small holes on the new peice then clamp it in and plug weld the new replacement patch to the original quarter.

I also found some stuff eastwood sells that soaks up heat from welding. it i think is called "heat soak clay" or you can use copper slappers sold by eastwood will help soak the heat up.

talk to several body shops to get a good idea on what to do. it never hurts to get a second opinion

alex

What i did which you can see in the photos of his post on mollies resto. i lapped the horzontal face of the new quarter over the horizontal face of the original quarter. with 3/4 inch to 1 inch of metal overlapping. then welding it in by spot welding every 12 or so inches then working my way back around and closing the gap with each pass.

Figured I'd bring the applicable pictures up for your easy viewing:

Here's the drivers side quarter after we hacked the old Quarter off:

Quarter_Removal.jpg

This is a shot of the patch we installed in the channel, but it gives a good close up view of how much "lip" Alex left from the old quarter: [see the lower left image]

WeldedPatch.jpg

Alex looking good. He always did look better with his face covered up... (just kidding, brother!)

AlexWorking.jpg

I have some more pictures somewhere... I'll see if I can dig up the digital copies somewhere.

Also, be careful about heat. I'm no welder, so Alex held the torch on this one. But even he had some trouble with that thin metal. So like he said, be careful... here's what my "new" QP ended up looking like: [Not complaining about Alex's work at all, mind you... I couldn't have done anything without him, and it loosk great now! Just giving you fair warning if you're trying it yourself]

sideshot2.jpg

[[[NOTE: All that bondo on the Front Fender and Passenger door was found when we took of the paint for the first time. I didn't have the money to go replacing the metal there, cause it looks like "Molly" skimmed a guardrail at somepoint. So that's not handiwork of us]]]