I'm lost

I have looked several times and am looking again but can not locate my flasher, I know where it should be but cant find it. Has anyone else had this problem and maybe tell me where its hiding. Its blinking very fast so theres really no clicking sound coming from it to try and feel it. I definitely need to find it because I am wiring up the trailer hitch. Thanks in advance.

The wires may be a little more visible to it...  pink and purple.   On one of my vehicles it was just suspended in the air above the column, and on another it was at the base near the neutral safety switch.  Doug

Hey Steve, when you remove the plastic panel that covers the steering column look up and above the steering column and you will see the Metal upside down U shape brace that runs from drivers side to passenger side of the dash. As you are laying down looking up the passenger side will be on your left and drives door on your right just for bearing purposes..... on the Left side of the bracing that is coming downwards it slopes towards the Factory radio, the Flasher unit will be tucked up in there between the radio and that curved part of the Brace above the steering column. sometimes its just pushed up in there or sometimes they have a C tention clamp that will hold the flasher in place. You can slide it out of the clamp or wiggle it back and forth as you pull gently and the flasher will pull out with the as mentioned by Doug the Pink and purple wires.

Hope that detail makes sence......?

Darren. 

Thanks Darren I'll look again I think half the problem is I really cant lay on my back with my head lower than my body any more after a couple minutes I start getting dizzy, I'll give it another shot. I might have to have the guy that does the yearly inspection look for it for me but i'll try again, thanks.

Here is the picture I have when I had the dash out of my 71.

Bruce

post-76-0-34306400-1428417797_thumb.jpg

Use your hand. You should beable to feel it. The bracket is screwed to the brace. Most of those brackets are missing and the flasher is just dangling. You can still buy that bracket if anyone want one. NPD lists it for a Chevelle.

Steve,

You say it is flashing very fast.  Is this only with the trailer wires hooked up to the trailer?  I remember this happening to me on my original Monte but only when my trailer lights were hooked up.  If this is the case, you may need to get a heavier duty flasher since you have the extra current draw of from the additional lights.  

Rob

I'm concerned that the lights are flashing quickly, when there are no attached "extra" lights, why?

If you have added the portion of the "trailer harness" that is attached to the wires in your trunk, and all other wires are stock and correct, I would recheck that newly added portion for a sort or anything else that was changed.

I used my 4 way flasher whenever I attached my trailer, so I didn't have to pay for a HD flasher. Worked fine but back then (younger and thinner) I could easily swap them out under the dash.

Good luck!

Bruce

I haven't added any wires yet just finding and marking them. They has been flashing fast for quite some time now but I've lived with it but I know I'll need to get it fixed with thd extra from the trailer. Thanks for all the help i guess I wont get to it till after vacstion.

I've changed all the bulbs already, twice in fact. The first time I used the 2057 bulbs thinking they may be a little brighter, they were not so I switched them all back to the 1157 bulbs and still worked the same. Thanks for suggestion though.