Sign in to follow this  
alex's72fgmc

OFF WITH ITS HEAD!!!!!

UPDATE TIME ..... DU DU DU DUDU DU

HOT OFF OF THE PRESS

67gtopsveiw.jpg

This is what my car will look like next year "except it wont be a 67 gto" completely striped and dipped. then a spraying of zinc phosphate so all i will have to do is patch any pin holes found and prime and paint. yes that is a rotissori under it it is a nice tool to have while doing this type of extreme makeover.....

5155457-R1-014-5A.jpg

here is the upper seam of the drivers side welded in

5155457-R1-018-7A.jpg

here is the driverside door jamb welded in just need to grind down the welds

5155457-R1-022-9A.jpg

passenger side roof seam before welding in

5155457-R1-026-11A.jpg

front windshield section of the roof welded in yeeeeah!!! more grinding for me

5155457-R1-030-13A.jpg

passenger side door jamb welded in

5155457-R1-036-16A.jpg

drivers side quarter extention which i needed to fix a height difference between the inboard side of the quarter panel and the extention

5155457-R1-040-18A.jpg

passenger side looking good

5155457-R1-044-20A.jpg

here is the trunk drip channel welded in

5155457-R1-046-21A.jpg

passenger side door to quarter front veiw

5155457-R1-048-22A.jpg

driverside door to quarter front view

5155457-R1-050-23A.jpg

front veiw of car completely stripped

all thats left is the drip rail sections of the roof to weld and the inner section of the drivers side lower quarter window section and a 1 foot swath on the drivers side quarter wheel well upper section

ahhh almost there

i will be shooting primer on this to protect it from rust till it goes to get dipped. here is a price breakdown for you guys to get your car dipped.

shell = $950

doors = $50

fenders = $45-50

decklid = $45

hood = $50

oh and i will have a N.O.S. door skin for the drivers side arriving next week that i won on ebay.

alex

Alex looking good!!

Thanks for the eye candy,you've done quite alot since your last post,I'm impressed!Do you think there's money in off frame car restoration!!I've pondered the Idea(opening a shop)with a good friend of mine,but is there a great demand for it..what do you think? It seems to be growing,but is there alot of competition out there?

Rod

fgmcc

not a whole lot of competition yet but you will have to screen customers for those that have a minumum of 10-14000 to put into the car not those people that want a little there and here done. plus it takes quite a bit of research to do a show class resto. depends on what you want to do to.

alex

Well there is a slight correction needed in the process in which the GTO was cleaned.

I took the GTO to a place where the chemically strip (depending on the quality of paint used they use a mixture of Aircraft stripper mixed with another ingredient to allow the stripper to go on a little easier). Followed in part by another solution that is heated and they let the shell sit in it for awhile again cleaning mainly paint and light bondo etc off the car.

Lastly they dip the car in the final solution to remove rust and and anything else that is not metal. Occasionally thick bondo greater than 1/4 inch doesn't always come off but is easily removed later.

What occurs in the process in not a actual zinc phosphate coating rather than a "deep cleansing" of the metal. What the final solution does is draw out the impurities that are in the metal. The self-etching primer that is later sprayed on the metal sticks much better than from a sanded surface. Please don't ask me to explain the exact chemistry of this process. Although I will someday look into it. A bare steel part believe it or not can sit in a garage that is not inudated with moisture for about a year and not rust.

For the price of this service you can not go wrong. It get's rid of rust where you can not possibly get a sander or grinder. to paint these parts you simply take a scotch pad and run over the surface and your ready to paint.

If you have any questions about the process or show pics of before and after I would be glad to provide them.

Charlie

OPPS thanks for correcting me charlie I know now i need to order some zinc phosphate to spray on it or have piercy powdercoat spray it.

lol ok thanks for the info the phone the same? or has it changed? lol

UPDATE:

My door skin has arrived i just need to fix some shipping damage on the rear lower section and a pin size raised area up by the mirror. will have pics soon

alex

Thanks Shawn most appreciated

Now its picture time ......

4763127-R1-021-9.jpg

here is the drivers side just look at all that NOS sheetmetal.... what a pretty site

4763127-R1-025-11.jpg

here is the passenger side. look it still has the misting of billies paint on my NOS fenders lol. need to clean them up a bit.

4763127-R1-029-13.jpg

here is a rear veiw shot of the drivers side. the only thing left to to is finish crimping the door skin to the shell on the bottom of the door.

4763127-R1-031-14.jpg

here is the front shot of the car. looks nice i just need get the core support temperarily installed to support the front of the fenders for now

enjoy the eye candy

alex

Alex! Looking sharp!

Why didn't you let me know all this was going on? I coulda seen if there was a weekend I could camp out at your place and help you out!

Would i be of any use now? wink Getting close to finals, but I'm gonna see if I can open up a weekend if you want.

Keep up the good work, my man! I'm amazed at all the work you're baby's been getting! Speaking of which, how goes the "real" baby? How's the family coming?

hee hee i have been a busy beaver.....

well billie there is still plenty of work left yet... lol need to roll the frame out from underneath, dissasemble the whole thing sand blast all the parts and zinc phosphate treat them then por 15 all the parts. i pretty much have a grocery list of stuff to do a mile long lol feel free to stop by i can put you to work lol

they other baby appears do be doing good we have another check up tomorow. so far so good

alex

choptop3.jpg

what do you all think if i dropped the roof 2-3 inches???? gives it the luxury speed boat look dont it? more and more i think about it the more i like it. but i would like some one elses consensus

alex

Just my opinion but it seems kind of awkward. like the car is so long and with the roof lowered, it seems too narrow. no bulk in the middle now to define the car. i look at it one way and it looks ok but another makes me wanna scratch my head. hmmm hard to say

Maybe if you lower it and install some 13" Daytons and chain steering wheel..oops I'm getting carried away!!

Rod

fgmcc

Just my opinion, but I say no man.. Leave it stock.

An aweful lot of work put into it just to maybe not like it later on down the road. And you already know you like the look of stock.

For me it would just be too much guess work and a gamble with all the work you've put into her.

Just my opinion Alex. Sure is looking great man!

Hey Hey

Alex I like it to realy see what it will look like you need to put some wait on the springs in the front but it would look cool do you rember the darth rader Monte its chop and black and Darth on the hood

if you need a pix I can look for them I say go for it

Dave

hey dave send me pix of that monte i dont recall it but would like to see it..... plus.. you gave me an idea.... uhh ohhhh lol

alex

Hey Hey

Alex I sent three shots of that Monte but I am going to put two of them here so others can see it but there not great of shots the one good shot is to big to post Alex if you did not get them let me know I replted to your E-Mail tonight I hope it worked

Dave

354153_126_full.jpg354153_127_full.jpg

Hi what are you dipping it in? and what shop is it thats doing the work. Do you have the info?

John

Charli72 has been to the place and seen the operation here is what he said earlier

-----------------------------------------------

"They chemically strip (depending on the quality of paint used they use a mixture of Aircraft stripper mixed with another ingredient to allow the stripper to go on a little easier). Followed in part by another solution that is heated and they let the shell sit in it for awhile again cleaning mainly paint and light bondo etc off the car.

Lastly they dip the car in the final solution to remove rust and and anything else that is not metal. Occasionally thick bondo greater than 1/4 inch doesn't always come off but is easily removed later.

What occurs in the process in not a actual zinc phosphate coating rather than a "deep cleansing" of the metal. What the final solution does is draw out the impurities that are in the metal. The self-etching primer that is later sprayed on the metal sticks much better than from a sanded surface. Please don't ask me to explain the exact chemistry of this process. Although I will someday look into it. A bare steel part believe it or not can sit in a garage that is not inudated with moisture for about a year and not rust.

For the price of this service you can not go wrong. It get's rid of rust where you can not possibly get a sander or grinder. to paint these parts you simply take a scotch pad and run over the surface and your ready to paint."

----------------------------------------------

then it will be sent to a powder coat shop and sprayed with zinc phosphate and then rinsed and back to me for the final work

The company that does the dipping part is called Readystrip. They are out of Evansville in southern Illinois. I will have to find the number for it though.

alex

time for an update

MVC-001S.JPG

here is the frame out from under the car for the first time in 33 years.....

MVC-004S.JPG

and the rear veiw of frame all looks good so far...

after i strip the remaining components off of the frame it will go to the body shop for straightening on the frame rack.

more pics to follow soon need to retake a few "too dark"

alex

Hey Hey

Alex send me the dark ones and I will see what I can do if you want to see I did the one what do you think

Dave

354153_128_full.jpg