Back Up Light Question

GoGreen70MC

You are on the right track. It almost sounds like it is just slightly out of adjustment but it is also the contacts in the switch are bad and it may need to be replaced..

Rob

Based on what he described I would guess the switch is indeed bad. Most of the columns have enough slop you can get the lights to stay on if you wiggle the gear selector a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to fooling with those wires trying to get the back up lights to work... When I was putting the car back in the garage, however, it would not start.   The electrical worked, but the motor wasn't doing anything.  The only wires I fooled with today were the green and pink for the back up lights and a purple wire that was also connected to the steering column.  Is this a problem with the battery or did I accidentally mess with a wire under the dash that I shouldn't have.  Thanks.

Conrad

I was actually just reading about the neutral safety switch.... When I was playing with the bracket, I did not unplug any wires.  Does the bracket the neutral safety switch is attached to have to be on the steering column for it to work?  I didn't put it back on yet. Thanks.

Conrad

Yes, the Neutral Safety switch and bracket needs to be mounted. If it isn't mounted, it can not detect the selector is either in park or neutral which are the only two positions it will let the starter engage.

rob

what Rob said!

but you can test it with it unbolted, it should start by sliding it all the way to the left, then as you go to the right the back up lights should come on, then it should start again and the back up lights go off