Question regarding horn

Ooltewahman

I know this is a stupid question, but where is the horn located on a 72? I can't find it anywhere. I can push the horn button and hear the relay click under the dash but the horn won't blow. I also can't see where the horn use to be if someone has removed it.

Sam I though the horn relay was on the firewall in 72? I know my 70 was on the core support and the 71 I worked on was on the core support. Test the horn itself by applying juice to the plug on the horn if it blows then the relay is bad. Here is another horn question does 72 have dual horns or single horn? my 72 has a single horn while my 70 has dual horns.

Sam I though the horn relay was on the firewall in 72? 

That's where mine is.

Pretty sure we had a discussion a while back and concluded they came with one horn.

I have two now...although I can't remember which side the stock one came on... :confused:

img0367smalllo9.jpg

Ahhh, I just looked at my photo again and I see the hole with the grommet on the right so that must be the side.

I have two horns on mine both aftermarket. An "A" not and a "C" note Only had one when I bought it and  I did not like the cheap sound of it so replaced it.

I tested the green wire that was at the front of the car that had been cut. There was no power to this wire either way. With the horn pressed or not. When I press the horn I can hear the relay clicking.

First, make sure you have the horn grounded well. A continuity check from the horn body to the battery negative post will answer that question. Next, follow the wire you connected to the horn and make sure it's coming from the relay. Since the you can hear the relay operate, check to make sure you have a constant 12 volt supply to the relay. If not, you have to trouble shoot that wire. If you do have 12 volts, you need to see if the relay is passing the voltage through to the horn wire when the relay is energized. If not, the relay contact may just be dirty. You can remove the cover and clean it, or replace the relay.

Dan

The factory location on a 72 is under the hood, on the firewall, above the brake booster. A quick Google search for 72 Chevelle horn relay will show you many pics.

Dan

Ok found it. The housing itself is grounded. The front stud on it is hooked to constant power. The green wire goes to the horn. But when the wire that goes to the horn button on the steering wheel is plugged in, it has power until the button is pressed in. But the green wire never has power on it. No matter what. When you press the button you can hear it clicking. Does that mean that the relay is bad?

The wire that goes to the horn button is a ground wire. Meaning when pressed it completes the circuit from the relay. 

Ok, sounds like everything is working normally, except the contact that the green horn wire is connected to is probably dirty. Remove the cover and clean the contact. I wouldn't replace the relay unless the coil is bad. If the coil is bad, you won't hear it click.

Dan

Thanks for the help everyone. Dan I will try that this weekend. I was hoping to not have to spend $50 on a relay lol. I'll let u know if it works. I bet your right and all I need to do is clean the contacts. Thanks again

Steve

Just wanted to update. I took apart the relay. Even after cleaning the contacts the inside part was not transferring to the prong that the wire hooked on to. So I drilled out the rivet and put a small but and bolt thru. So then it started making contact. Put it all back together and it started working great. So thanks yet again for the help

• 5 months later...

Hey Mike,

Try our For Sale / Wanted Forum where you can Post your need and where you will receive the most responses.  You can try Konicks Classics as he is a Club Member and a source for Parts.  His info is located on FGMCC Home Page under Parts Sources.

Doug