Adding a right chrome mirror

stangeba

Installation of Right Side Mirror on 1971 Monte Carlo

I added a right (non remote) chrome mirror that matches the left remote chrome mirror to my 1971 Monte Carlo in August 2006. This mirror uses a flat style glass not convex like in today’s cars so it is less effective and obviously doesn’t have the words

“OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR”.

The mirror (part number ROM702R) was purchased from Ausley’s for $89.86 with shipping.

Ausley\'s Web Site

Phone: (336) 228-6701 or (336) 228-1365

Orders Only: (800) 228-7539

Here is a step-by-step guide of how I performed this task with pictures, comments and helpful additional dialog that hopefully will educate and amuse you.

1- Roll down the window

RIGHT DOOR PANEL

2- Remove the door lock knob

3- Remove the arm rest base (three Philips screws)

ARM REST BASE REMOVED

4- Remove the two door pull strap covers

COVER SLIDING OFF

They slide off, the front one forward, the rear one back. Small built-in clips hold the covers in place but at this point yours, like mine, are probably broken and the covers will slide off fairly easily. If not you will have to slide a thin piece of metal (like a feeler gauge) under the cover to release the clip. This is not an easy thing to do, in fact I believe I was unable to successfully remove mine years ago, and the clips broke in the process.

5- Remove the one Philips screw from under each cover. (Note, these are special screws don’t lose them)

BOTH PULL STRAP COVERS AND SCREWS REMOVED

Note on the underside of the base are the two screws that hold the armrest pad in place. Tighten them now if they are loose.

INSIDE RIGHT ARM REST

6- Remove the door release lever and the window crank (special tool required for the window crank is not needed for the door release lever but will work)

REMOVING DOOR RELEASE LEVER WITH SPECIAL TOOL

REMOVING WINDOW CRANK HANDLE WITH SPECIAL TOOL

Note the small C clips should be put back on both the window crank and door release lever NOW so you don’t lose them.

Note the window crank has a round white plastic washer called escutcheon that prevents the crank handle from tearing the vinyl when rotated.

WHITE PLASTIC ESCUTCHEON

The innie goes toward the window crank giving the clip room. It won’t fit the other way. I feel this part is very important so if you don’t have one, get one.

7- Remove the 5 Philips screws along the bottom of the door trim panel in the carpeted area. Note, Some of these screws could be driven deep into the trim board and buried by the carpet pile so look carefully

8- Using a flat prying device like a gasket scraper, locate and carefully pry the three clips attached to the door trim panel away from the doorframe at the rear and the three clips at the front of the door.

SCRAPER UNDER REAR OF DOOR PANEL

SCRAPER UNDER FRONT OF DOOR PANEL

9- Pull the lower portion of the door trim panel away from the door and at the same time lift up to remove the trim panel.

10- Remove the window crank spring (note how it’s installed with the large end touching the back of the door panel) don’t loose this and remember to put it back.

11- At this point, check the four pull strap screws for tightness and make sure the six clips are in place (not shown in photo) so they don’t get lost.

BACKSIDE OF THE REMOVED RIGHT DOOR PANEL

Note the pull strap screw tips can interfere with the covers on re-assembly. I ground mine off a bit so the covers would slide back on.

NOW FOR THE CRITICAL PART

12- Measure to drill the two 1/4” holes. The front hole is 6-7/8” back from the front of the door. The rear hole is 3-1/4” back from that and both are 7/8” inboard from the feature line (all measurements are on center). Mark the two spots and check it again. Note my mirror came with two gaskets as seen here.

THESE TWO GASKETS CAME WITH MY MIRROR

The one on the left with one large opening is the correct one. The other gasket is for a driver’s side remote mirror. I got both in my box with the wrong one already on the mirror. I know of one person in the club who got only the wrong one. This is a MAJOR problem and your mirror will look like this with the wrong (Left) gasket in place.

THE WINDOW WON\'T EVEN ROLL UP USING THE WRONG GASKET!

When this happened to me I about died thinking I drilled holes in my near perfect door for a mirror that would never work.

BACK TO DRILLING THE HOLES

Use a sharp center punch to start a hole for the drill bit so it doesn’t wander then measure everything again.

A SHARP PUNCH WORKS BETTER

I advise placing the mirror studs over the two spots you just punched and visualize how it looks compared to the drivers side mirror.

13- Start off with a 3/32” bit followed by an 11/64” then finish with a 1/4” bit. (Great, step 13, how strange is that)

14- Using a countersink bit I put a slight radius on each hole to help reduce cracking of the metal around the hole.

15- After a trial fit, I used a Q-Tip dipped in zinc rich primer

DUPONT PRIMER I USED

to touch up the bare metal areas around the holes.

AFTER APPLYING PRIMER

Note the picture shows a large reddish circle between the two holes I drilled. This is not needed and only there because I was using the wrong gasket and drew it with a Sharpie.

ATTACHING THE MIRROR

(I did have “mounting the mirror” but with this group decided to change my wording)

Carefully pull down or remove the paper water shield.

My mirror came with two 10mm nuts. I added a lock washer to each nut and tightened both securely.

In reality, the rear mirror stud comes directly in contact with a brace welded into the door assembly preventing this nut from being anything but easy to install or tighten. I left the front nut very loose and lifted the rear of the mirror so the stud was only protruding into the hole about 1/4”. Small fingers and great manual dexterity is needed to do this step but even I managed after many attempts. Note a magnet to retrieve the nut when it falls into the door is required. Removing the metal shavings inside the door at the bottom (they’re sharp) from the drilling process is also a good idea. It is helpful to have a variety of both deep and shallow 1/4” drive sockets and extensions. I didn’t keep track of what lengths worked well and what didn’t but what ever you use, the rear nut is a tough one to tighten. I wondered about removing some of the brace to give me more room, but didn’t.

HOW DOES IT LOOK?

It should look like this or at least I think it should.

NEW RIGHT CHROME MIRROR

LOOK MOM, TWO MIRRORS!

REASSEMBLY

1- Secure the old paper water shield or replace it. Don’t extend the shield beyond the area the door panel will cover or you will have to remove the door panel again to cut some off.

2- Remember the window crank spring I mentioned above? It’s time to put it back on, small end facing the door side and large end against the door panel side. This spring tends to fall off so keep an eye on it.

3- Attach the top of the door panel making sure the door lock stud is positioned through the hole on top and swing the lower portion in place.

4- Line up the six clips and hit them in place one by one with your hand.

5- Install the two Philips screws into the pull strap (Leave loose for now) and start the five small Philips screws in the lower part of the door. Once you have them all started tighten them all up.

6- Install the door latch handle and window crank (remember the escutcheon) Note position the window crank so it’s in the same position (with both windows down) as the left door. I have positioned mine so the crank knob doesn’t hit my leg when the window is all the way down.

7- Install the armrest base and tighten the three Philips screws.

8- Install the door lock knob and verify it functions properly.

9- Adjust your new right chrome mirror for many years of driving fun and enjoyment and safer lane changes.

Note the information contained in the above article is a written document of how I installed my right side mirror on my 1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo with manual windows.

All reference made to the right side of the above mentioned automobile is understood to be the same as the passenger side of said vehicle.

Results may vary and no guarantee as to the accuracy or sanity of the author Bruce Stange.

• 1 month later...

These are the only mirrors I see that they list on their web page for our cars, are these the right ones? Also I do not see any listings for the mounting gaskets.

OM702 $30.00 1970-72 Outside Rear View Mirror (ea)

Lloyd,

I added the part number (ROM702R) to my post above. I thought I had done that but looks like I forgot. Base mounting gasket came with the kit. I also got the LEFT gasket for some reason and that messed me up at first.

Thanks,

Bruce