HELP ME BUILD A 383 ON A BUDGET

CKZ03

Was hoping I would not have to do this but NOOOO, couldn't be that lucky. Clearanced out the block for the 383 build, rods would not clear. Wasn't to bad to do, only took about an hour using a belt grinder. Yes I verified I had .060 or better once finished :). Also acquired some more parts. Pro systems carb, custom built for this engine. It's a 950 cfm body dialed down to an 840, which is crazy huge in comparison to the 600 I was using on my 355. Also just got my heads AFR 195 street eliminators

103ED295-4C69-4967-85CB-5D2AD2046AA1_zps

3AE7D736-96DB-43D7-B94E-065E888B551B_zps

B6825965-A582-43B4-AFDE-D2B250CEFA9F_zps

459908AA-61D6-4066-87C6-41676ED70F44_zps

C72CF125-7C24-46E7-B3A7-0D01265A3F4C_zps

I was wondering how your build was coming along. Thanks for the update.

I would lay money on Chris being within 5-10 HP of his estimate. If he is off, I'll bet he was conservative, and you will see bigger numbers.

I've got his (Straub/Clay Smith) hydraulic roller cam in my 460 big block Chevelle. I'm just running OEM valved 781 heads w/9.4:1 compression. The engine starts in an instant and it has a very different sound than when I ran a ZZ502 HR cam. Crisp is a good term for the sound. Throttle response is unbelievable. It has a very aggressive idle, but it has the street manners of a pure stocker. That is, until you go MM (Maximum Mash). Then you better to be ready to be grabbing gears cuz it pulls like a freight train thru 6000 rpm. It makes mincemeat of my 275r-15 Nittos thru 2 gears from a roll, it finally grabs in 3rd. :shifter:

I have no idea on actual HP/TQ. All I can say is the Butt dyno is HAPPY.

You will be very pleased with your combo. Just be careful until you get a handle on the new found power passion. Things happen really fast when adrenaline is flowing & tires are spinning. I'd hate to see that car (& you) injured. End of preach.

Have fun & keep us updated! Can't wait to hear how you like it. 

FYI, I think Chris will send you a free t-shirt if you post a video of your Straub cammed car running/idleing on u-tube. You may want to ask about that.

Scott

• 1 month later...

Getting closer, hope to be up and running in a few weeks. I have a real slow engine builder :( but we're almost there. Adding a more sufficient cooling system while I'm at it.

ED8F2B62-734C-4CF7-A5CD-4D9F1FDFA6EE_zps

A33250A1-CB45-4A2F-A710-4E202CEE059E_zps

09E43F7B-2EE0-4613-AF90-420618E3B190_zps

096B5F6A-4FC8-41EF-8339-E7B941D1D00C_zps

• Like 1

Getting closer, hope to be up and running in a few weeks. I have a real slow engine builder :( but we're almost there. Adding a more sufficient cooling system while I'm at it.

ED8F2B62-734C-4CF7-A5CD-4D9F1FDFA6EE_zps

If you could, where did you source the fans? I'd like to get rid of the huge shroud if I can get a cooling setup that will work in its' place.

I've got a 3 row aluminum rad now for my 350.

Thanks.

Bought rad/fans together as a combo unit, a little re engineering to mount it up but quite easy regardless. I have seen several companies that do sell just fan/shroud assemblies which may get a little tricky to match up and mount with your existing rad though. Here is the combo I purchased, it's a Griffin CU 70008. I had to grind off the original lower perches, find suitable rubber to use in lower mount area, grind a little off center section of lower rad for clearance towards the center, grind & reshape the upper rubbers but other than that the upper mounts remain the same. You will have to tweak your trans lines some to get them to line up also. Had to find a lower hose same shape as Monte but with a 1.75 outlet size, found one extremely close but yet to install to see if it will work or not, I'm sure it will tho. If so can provide a dayco number if anyone is in need. Link to Griffin info... The actual dimensions of rad is 33" X 19" X 3", the ones listed on Griffins site are core measurements only. Their total width 6.42" is of course with fans/shroud mounted.

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details6.php?PartID=387&id=CU-70008&year=72&make=Chevrolet&model=Monte%20Carlo&select_Main_Group=1972&select_Sub_Group=Chevrolet&select_Sub_Group_model=Monte%20Carlo&select_Sub_Group_Engine=28%20X%2019&select_Sub_Group_Transmission=TOC&key_id=8-70008

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a peek at the nearly finished product, will have some dyno results on Tuesday next week.

11130B07-4BEA-4288-932E-7C4DFACE7EF1_zps

4CCD9391-93A0-439B-B12D-9F1520A72505_zps

62348E2B-5B1A-4AA8-B247-314C2C0799F9_zps

• Like 1

Beautiful, Absolutely beautiful!! I look forward to seeing your car in person. Also this is the month in which Corys car is featured in the LKQ calender,Congrats again on such a beautiful ride

Great pics. Tire fryer for sure. Great heads on that mill too. Gotta love a bored and stroked small block. Whats the rest of the combo? Gears, converter and all that good stuff? Yeah, i'd run ya!! Enjoy it!!!

Pretty sure u would kill me in a race Al :)

Today's dyno results - 511tq/471hp target was to build 475tq/475hp so needless to say I'm happy with the results couldn't get mich closer than that! I will post the entire dyno data sheets later.

Pics to prove, I know it's a pretty scary looking dyno

AE4CDF3E-41E0-4753-957A-0731013416DF_zps

F7A7EAA6-4AAA-477E-BE70-58FB27589865_zps

Let's see if any of this works. The data scans look pretty blurry I may have to try something different to upload them here and this photobucket video probably won't work either

Heres a couple videos Sam :)

Seems to work, click on pic below

th_36C4331C-69E0-4B7F-8CE5-790C0329046D_

you tube on run stand

dyno data

dyno1_zpsi1s3bemt.jpg

dyno2_zpso6mra8f9.jpg

dyno3_zpsfmjtjbsf.jpg

dyno4_zpsnpfizbg6.jpg

dyno5_zpse3njltj5.jpg

dyno6_zpsqo8s36th.jpg

dyno7_zps8m3ocwdn.jpg

Nice work Cory.  You're gonna have fun with that engine. 

From a "looks" stand point, I would have painted the rough surface of the heads orange.  Reason?,,,, helps in clean up with oil, dirt and grime.  Also, gives it a real custom look.  Painted engine parts,.. then put together,...is a beautiful thing.  Other than that,....enjoy!!!!  Drive that baby like you stole it.  You will have a ball I'm sure!  I'm am very very happy for you.  That is a beautiful car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Dave

Cory, your gonna be haulin' [censored]!! Your gonna have a lot of fun with that motor. Again, enjoy!!

• 4 weeks later...

Now that is some great reading! I now have a hankering to make up my own mighty mouse!! 511 ft lbs Trq. will make your Monte move for sure. Those kind of Dynos are the only ones to trust!! We have a engine shop here MarolloRacing Engines, Pine City, N.Y.) that has one like that ,and can handle 1,500 HP. Blown Tractor pull engines are his specialty. I hope your transmission is up to the task of handling all that torque. Hope to hear about it if your going to the Eastern meet in Ohio. Now, where did I put that sbc 400 block........hmm

• 4 weeks later...

Just came back across this thread. Good Lawd that engine makes a lotta grunt at a very usable RPM. Great combo you have put together!!! Super great HP numbers too. Outta be dependable but will provide an ear to ear smile when ya whack the loud pedal!!

David

Here is a peek at the nearly finished product, will have some dyno results on Tuesday next week.

11130B07-4BEA-4288-932E-7C4DFACE7EF1_zps

4CCD9391-93A0-439B-B12D-9F1520A72505_zps

62348E2B-5B1A-4AA8-B247-314C2C0799F9_zps

Looks Reeeeeeeal nice.  Love seeing the gaskets. - Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have been meaning to get back here and update you all once I have had some road time in. Sadly I havent had much time to drive her. Ive managed to put on only 80 miles in the last month since getting the engine in and working out several gremlins. Should have been a simple engine swap LOL, due to changing sooo many things I had several issues. As always in my case the car loves to fight with me and seems I must beat it into submission. But I managed to get past her stubborness and actually get her down the road. I will have to update again once I rack some more miles on but for now heres what I can tell you.

Not sure of fuel economy yet, but doesnt seem very good LOL. A bit of a learning curve driving her with the new power level, I find myself going sideways sometimes (when I didnt mean to). I used to think my tires had plenty of traction (Nitto 555's 255 50 17) come to find out they spin like mad even at 3/4 throttle LOL. Quite happy with the results so far and looking to gather more data for you guys in the next month as I plan on getting more road time with her.