The build starts!

First order placed for the 70 Monte and the task is to get the front end acting a big more tame. Worn out bushings and ball joints, who knows how old shocks, possibly twisted tie rods, and 275 front tires have led to a floaty and boat-like ride. 

I went with:

-Speedway upper/lower tubular control arms (needed the balljoints and bushings anyways)

-Moog 6330 front coils

-KYB gas-a-just shocks

-Full Moog steering linkage

-Summit 1 5/16" sway bar

-Plan to go with MT street radial 235/60/15s

Got the control arms in today and they look pretty nice. I've heard they are almost exact copies of Global West stage 3's. Delrin/poly bushings and ball joints already installed with spherical sway bar attachment :D

anosyh.jpg

David I brought the same control arms for my 72 last year simply because of the price vs buying stamp steel ones with new ball joints and bushing costing the same amount of money. I saw your post over on the Chevelle forum as well, why do you think you have big block springs in the front for? I have read a few post where the steering box had to be adjusted to get play out of it. Since you are tearing it down to do a complete front end rebuild change out the original spindle to a 2" drop, and maybe go with a drop spring to give it a better handle. I worked on a 71 that someone stuck taller coil springs in and it handle like junk, we took and added drop springs brought it back down to earth and it handle better. As for the 275 front tire sounds like someone wanted to have a high front end look. I have found a 225/70 looks better on the front, but then again I like a skinny tire up front and a wide tire in the rear (my 70 has had 225/70/15 on the front with a 295/50 on the rear, 255/50/16 all the way around and currently a 26x8 on the front and 26x10 in the rear).

David I brought the same control arms for my 72 last year simply because of the price vs buying stamp steel ones with new ball joints and bushing costing the same amount of money. I saw your post over on the Chevelle forum as well, why do you think you have big block springs in the front for? I have read a few post where the steering box had to be adjusted to get play out of it. Since you are tearing it down to do a complete front end rebuild change out the original spindle to a 2" drop, and maybe go with a drop spring to give it a better handle. I worked on a 71 that someone stuck taller coil springs in and it handle like junk, we took and added drop springs brought it back down to earth and it handle better. As for the 275 front tire sounds like someone wanted to have a high front end look. I have found a 225/70 looks better on the front, but then again I like a skinny tire up front and a wide tire in the rear (my 70 has had 225/70/15 on the front with a 295/50 on the rear, 255/50/16 all the way around and currently a 26x8 on the front and 26x10 in the rear).

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. How are they working out for you? That was my thoughts too, I was going to replace the control arm bushings with poly and all of the ball joints. Taking that out of the price it was about $150-200 for brand new tubular control arms with that stuff installed. They can't really be THAT bad can they? The Chevelle guys seem to think they crack? 

I have no idea, it might have had a big block at some point. It just seems like the front end "soaks" up bumps with travel while the rear acts more proper. A large portion of this may be caused by the big tires, I'll be fixing that too. I will take a look at the steering box, I'm not 100% it is stock, but it does seem to work pretty well and the play isn't intolerable. I do think the passenger side outer tie rod is tweaked though, it just doesn't look straight. 

I do have plans to do a drop spindle, and made sure that they would be compatible with the speedway arms. I was just going to clean up the stockers and put some cheap new rotors on this time around. Plan will be to get drilled/slotted and some proper calipers on drop spindles with stainless lines when I save up some more later. Yeah, I'll take a look at the tires, I'm thinking either a 225/70 or a 235/60 with the MT Sportsman S/T. 

Christmas for the Monte  :yay:

Everything is looking pretty good. I went with Moog lower ball joints to get pressed into the Speedways as well. 

I'll probably get the uppers at some point, but I'll keep a close eye on the Speedway ones for now. 

New rotors, pads, control arms, springs, shocks, steering linkage, and a beefier sway bar. 

Time to bring the front end back down to earth and see if I can reduce some of this boat's body roll. 

e8lwdk.jpg