Body mount bushings

Has anyone changed body mount bushings with the car on the frame? It looks like it can be done, may be a little dicey at the cowl bushings where fender mounts, but is it worth attempting?

John S

It can be done but you still need to jack up the body to get the old bushing out and the new ones in. I have read here that you do one side at a time. Jack up the drivers side and reinstall the new ones and then do the opposite side the same way. Have not done it yet but will in the future. I am sure someone has a photo journal of the process or at least a detailed list of steps. 

It can be done. The biggest problem is breaking the bolts free from the cage nuts without snapping them off. If they break off, you have to go digging for the cage nuts through the body. As suggested, one side at a time. I used various little 2x4's to lift up on the body and provide support. I moved them along as I went. Breaking the nuts on the two firewall mounts (each side) definitely seemed like a two man job. Someone has to hold that nut and it's not exactly easy to jam a wrench in there. I spoke about it a bit in a build post I had, and there are some pictures of the cage nut. 

http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6978-minni-monte/?hl=%2Bminni+%2Bmonte