best way to 600 hp?

mymontesa70

Just curious on everyones thoughts on this after having a complex talk with my buddy on this subject the other day. Theres a lot of variables here and im not trying to start a big block small block war, just honestly curious. Would you go stroked out mouse motor? supercharged, twin turbo, nos, rainbow powered on hopes and dreams? or just slam a 572 in there and call it a day. 

Some variables to keep in mind.

. time.

.money. 

.Uniqueness

old BB,SB vs LS swap

.money

.hp vs torque

.does this belong in general discussion forum?

.money

.and so on. 

hopefully people will reply that have experience on this and others will learn something after they realize the powerplant  they've been fantasizing about for the past 10 years. has been a total waste of time.

cheers

it depends on what you want to do with it

I did the big horse power thing, I like my 500 hp big block more than my big horse power engine, much more fun to drive and enjoy, and NO RACE FUEL!

Awesome answer sam! Never even considered the fuel sacrifice or fun factor/driveability.

Also 500 hp is still is 300 more than most of us are at. I'm curious to know more about it. was it a complicated build from scratch or just a big block with some add ons? Anything you would've done different if you could do it again?

Keep em coming

• Like 1

I'm of the same mind-set as Sam and Scott.  I de-tuned my 'Built-for-the-strip' power train after purchasing the '72.   This left me with a totally reliable, pump-gas friendly, torque monster BBC.  

As you recall, I replaced the 2-spd powerglide and 3600 stall converter with the 4L80E and 2400 stall trans that we spoke about.  And I replaced the solid roller, high lift cam with a milder hydraulic roller version... the resulting reduced stressors on the valve train will now allow the build to run for decades.    I am equally impressed with a low-maintenance LS platform as well though...  A turbo 6.0 motor is figured into my next build.  http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/sucp-1206-5-3l-ls-small-block-build-part-7/

The common denominator with both of these, is that they are not high-strung, "You-have-to-spin-them-to-the-stars-to-move-them"  mills.   (And my old big block doesn't have to be ugly... here's my answer to the gosh-awful hoses that the General had criss-crossing all over our engine bay (I'm building custom length plug-wires this evening, I just threw an old set on the engine to break in the new rear end)):

DSC01699_zpslqcrjdbx.jpg

That's a really interesting article. Part of me really wants to do an ls swap just because they really are an overall great bang for the buck. On the other half everyone and their mom is doing ls swaps these days(with good reason) and I don't just want to jump on the bandwagon.

Btw that big block could really use some chrome accents in there, just to shine it up a bit.

I also agree that 500-600 reliable hp is going to cost. I think the key word there is reliable. If I'm going to spend money on a build I really want to do it right and have a decade worthy power plant.

So maybe this will turn into the classic big block vs small block debate, I think my problem is I just can't decide. That was how this argument started in the first place.

if you like to drive your monte a lot (like I do) a big block is very, very thirsty!!!

this is where a overdrive and a LS or a small block out weighs a big block

Interesting thread. I'm at the same cross roads. Saving up money now and hoping to have a fresh engine by early next year. I'm leaning towards a stroked small block (427, 434, 440).

I'm a s/b guy but have nothing against a b/b. A 500 hp b/b is very attainable without going with expensive parts. A plus is that the b/b will make big torque down low and you won't need to wind it up to reach peak hp and it makes it very streetable. A guy, who goes by Vortecpro, the Team Chevelle site has a great rep for making big hp/torque engines with cast iron factory headed/ factory block b/b at a very reasonable price. Most run on pump gas. http://www.vortecproperformance.com

To make 600 hp out of a s/b is more expensive and usually requires a good set of  aluminum heads, aftermarket block,crank, rods, piston, solid roller cam, and a good intake/carb combo. 

I came close to the mark at 575 hp/520 ft lbs of tq on pump premium out of 414 ci on the engine dyno. I really have enjoyed the engine and really the only maintainace is checking the valve lash every so often. This mill survived one of the hottest Hot Rod Drag Weeks ever in 2013 without a hiccup. Wish I could have said the same about my ignition system. :rofl:

Just some food for thought.

David

• Like 1

I just took my new 383 SBC for it's maiden voyage this afternoon. Forged Eagle crank and H-beam rods, Mahle flat-top forged pistons. It's supposed to be about 11:1 compression. Ran good on premium gas, with 5 gallons of race gas for insurance on initial start up. I put in a little extra ring end-gap, just in case I have to get to 600HP, VIA a blue bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been pretty interesting to me since I'm planning on swapping my stock 350 sbc motor out for more power in the near future.  I was considering a heavily stroked sbc but after reading some articles / forums, seems like a stroked bbc is the way to go (LS power isn't an option for me).  

Seems more efficient to produce 600 torque/horsepower from a stroked bbc than a sbc.  Less stress on the motor, pump gas friendly, power adder capabilities, and longevity seem to edge out a stroked sbc.  

Thoughts?

...seems like a stroked bbc is the way to go  ...more efficient to produce 600 torque/horsepower from a stroked bbc than a sbc.  Less stress on the motor, pump gas friendly, power adder capabilities, and longevity seem to edge out a stroked sbc.  

Thoughts?

All true.  Just remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch...  it's all a trade off.  As Sam mentioned, fuel economy takes a hit with a rat-motor.  I drove 36 miles this weekend to show my car at a really great family-friendly show in Durham, CA.  I burned over a half-tank of fuel on the trip with the 504.    So....  yesterday I swapped in a replacement MSD billet distributor with vacuum advance, to try to gain back about 1/2 to 1 MPG.

I love my 427 sb. Like David, i gotta be close to 600 hp and with all the alum on the motor and wheels plus the fiberglass hood I only weigh 3550 lbs. its a mild build that I can drive anywhere and I get a kick outta pissing off lots of the BB guys when I smoke them on the street/track. Its a blast for sure. Big cubic inch small blocks can get pricey. My build cost a lil over 8k. But to be honest I do love BBs as well and if I had the cash would love to have one built.

• 1 month later...

I'm a s/b guy but have nothing against a b/b. A 500 hp b/b is very attainable without going with expensive parts. A plus is that the b/b will make big torque down low and you won't need to wind it up to reach peak hp and it makes it very streetable. A guy, who goes by Vortecpro, the Team Chevelle site has a great rep for making big hp/torque engines with cast iron factory headed/ factory block b/b at a very reasonable price. Most run on pump gas. http://www.vortecproperformance.com

To make 600 hp out of a s/b is more expensive and usually requires a good set of  aluminum heads, aftermarket block,crank, rods, piston, solid roller cam, and a good intake/carb combo. 

I came close to the mark at 575 hp/520 ft lbs of tq on pump premium out of 414 ci on the engine dyno. I really have enjoyed the engine and really the only maintainace is checking the valve lash every so often. This mill survived one of the hottest Hot Rod Drag Weeks ever in 2013 without a hiccup. Wish I could have said the same about my ignition system. :rofl:

Just some food for thought.

David

+1 on Vortec Pro.  I don't have one of his engines but if I ever decide to spend my expendable income on a new power plant for my 72 350/350 I'd go for one of his iron headed 620+hp 468cid.  LS engines are great and all especially if you want a dependable v8 that can take boost, get good mpg and can be tuned by a ton of shops but I think a car a like ours deserves a big block.  I was also looking at the new F.A.S.T EZ EFI 2.0 to put on the 468 after a year or so of driving around on a carb.

It would be really hard to find another engine builder that could build a dyno proven 660hp BBC for less then $6k.

But something may be up since his web site isn't working for me.

665hp dyno video

Cool article about his all stock iron headed BBC's

http://www.engineprofessional.com/downloads/ep11/EP07-2010_20-28.pdf