Rear end

I am trying to id the rear end of my 70 monte. On the right side it has # 979100 and thats all I can find. Also there are 255/60/15 and I thig they are too big they rub when the body rolls or bump. what is the best looking and everyday usable for the back with fact shocks.

check the right front side of the axle tube , pass side front of tube you should see a series of numbers and letters , use a wire brush if the axle tube is painted or dirty , i have seen a couple where rust has pitted the surface and made the numbers unreadable in that case you will have to remove the cover and look at the stamping on the ring gear , the axle tube will only indicate what was originally installed by gm if some one has changed the gears it will not correspond , the number you have is a casting number , when you get the code check out the tech section Alex did a great job listing all the axle codes

Leo

hello there,

dont worry to much with the shock to rim clearance it should be no less than 1/2 inch also do you have the original factory springs on the car if so you probably will need to replace them. i have fifteens on mine with no problem "with airshocks cause the springs are worn on my car as well. like leo said check out the tech section with the article i wrote up if your code is not on there let me know so i can find out for you.

take it easy

alex

p.s. is yours 10 or 12 bolt "number of bolts in the rear end cover which is the same as the bolts that hold on the ring gear"

i runs 235/60 r15's now and they are no where near rubbing. i believe its bowtiethunder that ran slicks under his stock wheel wells... 255's should fit without any clearance issue if your bodys rolling that much i would suggest new body mounts.