steering torque

hello, does anyone know the torque for the 3 bolts 2 nuts which hold the dust shield,steering arm and spindle together ? it has a grade 8 bolts. the top one is larger than the bottom 2 .i found 10-15 ft lbs.that does not seem like enough torque for those large bolts. thanks joseph.

Funny I just did mine and cannot remember. I do know the top bolt has a small metal tab that is bent to prevent movement after tightening. Somewhere I have seen a chart which gives correct torque by bolt grade type, which may be helpful. Where did you find the 10-15ft requirement? I just checked my books and didn't see a specified tq for those bolts.

Joseph,

The Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual for 1970 has a table of Torque Specifications for Brakes toward the back of that manual that lists the following for the Monte Carlo:

Support plate to steering knuckle . . . . . . . 140 ft-lbs (this is the larger upper bolt)

Shield to steering knuckle nuts (hold bolt) . . . 70 ft-lbs

Shield to steering knuckle bolts (hold nuts) . . 95 ft-lbs

The service procedure for replacing a steering knuckle on pages 3-9 and 3-10 mentions the use of lock nuts and refers to these specifications for installations so I believe they are correct.  Don't forget to bend the retaining tabs and Locktite is also a good insurance step, as Sam suggested.  Note that the two lower bolts are slightly different lengths and need to be positioned correctly.

post-567-0-00473900-1438638726_thumb.jpg

i found the 10-15 ft lbs on 2 different websites. it does not seem like a lot of torque for those bolts.

Are you sure this is not the torque for the caliper bolts. The ones the caliper slide on?