ENGINE - Removing oil pan without pulling the engine?

I think there was some talk about this before but I was just curious - has anyone removed the oil pan from a 350 with out pulling the engine? I am swapping the cam so I need to drop the oil pan a bit anyway but would like to change the gasket and check out the bottom end of the engine but don't want to pull it...

you have to take the motor mount bolts out and jack the engine up a bit. . . place a 2x4 between the engine and mount . . . make darn sure you have it stable before working on it.

------------------

Tim (Ratchetmaster)

Former owner (13 yrs) 1970 SS454 MonteCarlo frown

1973 RS LT Z28

1972 454 Elcamino (almost done!!)

1969 442 Convertible

1968 RS SS 350 Camaro 4sp.

And etc. smile

Probably have to remove the distributor or at least the cap. Right? Just something extra I thought of. Either way, it should be no biggy.

Lon

------------------

lonsig.jpg

the cap of the distributor engine mount bolts "the two big ones" and maybe the fuel line by the fuel pump to frame "depending on if the line is short. and as always disconnect the battery the you should be good to go

------------------

alex

hmmmm the sound of wrenches turning and... slowly out from the garage emerges a luxury muscle car that is anything but... it is.. the monte carlo with a new edelbrock performer rpm power package and new 350 block stroked to 377 cid.

I am in the process of doing a gasket replacement on my oil pan right now. Let me tell you what I found out. This will be lenghty because it has been painful so far.

1. I used ramps for the front tires and jackstand under the rear axle. A third jackstand is needed for safety once you raise the engine and remove the oil pan. With the oil pan removed you'll be reaching in between the crossmember and the engine with nothing but the 2x4s holding the engine. I felt very safe with a jackstand positioned directly under one of the crankshaft mains in the middle.

2. I just heard this after I had already put in my gasket set, but someone makes a one piece pan gasket which would have made things much easier when installing the pan.

3. Before I raised the motor, I disconnected the transmission lines because you'll be raising that also and I didn't want to risk bending the transmission lines. If you bend them I think you have to drop the transmission in order to install new lines. About a pint of transmission fluid (maybe less) came out of the radiator when I did this.

4. I did not have to remove the distributor when I raised the engine, it's still about 1 inch away. The transmission housing hit the body way before that and I was not able to put a 2x4 between the frame and engine motor mounts so I used two 2x4's between the exhaust manifold and the frame which worked fine. You may also be able to replace the motor mounts when you do this (I wasn't though). You'll need to remove the transimission mounting bolts at the rear of the transmission also.

5. I removed the starter and drained the oil and removed the oil filter. If you have a single exhaust system with a crossover pipe you'll need to lower that.

6. If for some reason your not able to purchase the one piece gasket you may have trouble getting the front seal in. Even with permatex in the front seal groove on the timing chain cover it kept falling out. I put on the three other seals first and then put in the two rear bolts and let the pan hang slightly so that I could fit the front seal into the groove with one hand and push the pan up with the other.

7. Don't forget. Swearing really does make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside for a few seconds.

If at any time you want to talk about this further drop me a line and I'll be glad to swear with you.

Good Luck,

Allen

Thanks guys...

I am taking the whole engine apart right now and plan to take the take the headers off too. Going to paint the engine, intake, engine area, headers, etc, etc, etc... with Por15 products... Took the passenger side fenders (outside and inner) off today. Need to take some before pictures before I get much further. I kinda wish I could pull the engine but I don't have all the necessary equipment and I'm trying to work as cheap as possible...