Installing Painless wiring harness

Big Al

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok the first plug in the picture has three connection its part of the radio harness. The plug to the left of that one has a total of 6 wires and looks to be part of the dash harness. The signle purple wire I'm not sure on and my wire manual for a 70 Chevelle, El Camino and Monte is out in my garage. The Orange wire looks to be wrap up with the radio harness. The gray wire in the door jam is the map ligth in the mirror I also over looked that wire. When you took the dash pad off was your driver side stero speaker already sitting that high?

I'm sorry I should have been more clear in what connector it was. It's actually the black three prong connector with the orange wire that I was referring to. The connector that is red with the orange wire was inserted in the fuse panel and I "think" is the 12 volt power source that is used to operate the power seat, windows and doors. The black connector with the pink wire was also plug into the fuse panel. When I purchase the car it had a aftermarket radio and CB installed which I removed. so basically the wiring had been hacked into.

The three prong looks to be part of the speaker harness. The orange wire is a 12volt power feed for add on's (IE power windows, or cathe map light) If you had factory power windows and door locks there would be a 1:3 jumper plug on the end of the orange wire. With the new harness you will use the orange wire for just the map light or you can wire the map light straight to the new fuse panel. the spreaker harness plug that is up to you if you want to leave it in the car, depending on the radio you put in and if the stock 4x6 speaker is any good the radio might not play out the stock due to the different OHM's. Here are a few pictures of my newer fuse panel wiring001-1.jpg  In this pictures the only added wires in the fuse panel is the kick down switch for a 400 trans which are the pink and tan wires, the map light is on the same row as the pink wire, and the red wire is for a keyless entery system backtogether007_zpsb7b6669b.jpg Don't worry about the toggle switch that is to manually lock up the stall speed for the 700r4 trans that is in the car. For your power windows you will get the power via the accessories plug. So it will be the pink wire from the relay behiend the kick panel that will plug into the pink wire in the accessories plug. For power seats it will plug into the orange accessories port on the plug and power door locks is the red port in the accessories plug

Monte 70car,

I had a few questions, the Dakota digital kit is suppose to arrive on Thursday. Did it connect to the AAW wiring harness like the original dash gauges or did you have to do some special modifications? Also from the pictures that you sent it look like you routed the harness like the original up/over and be hide the dash carrier? On the first page of the dash kit, Step three states to route the dash harness using the factory supports straps? The only type of support straps I noticed were black clips that were taped into the harness in certain areas.       

Hi Big Al on the stock cluster there is two clips that are taped in the stock harness. What I did was use zip ties on the new harness and ran another zip tie through the hole and into the zip tie on the new harness. As for the Dakota dash you will follow the steps for connecting the dash gauge harness. On the 70 I set it up where I can switch back to a stock style dash if I want to.

Monte70car, thank you, I was looking at how the black support clips were taped into old the harness thinking how I would have to remove them and install them on the new harness, the zip ties make a lot of sense. Another question, I noticed from the pictures that you posted that you have power windows, I have power windows, locks and my driver seat is power. In the picture that I posted the orange wire with the pink connector and the pink wire with the clear connector were the only two wires that were externally plug into my fuse box's. I believe both supply the power from the old fuse boxes to the power locks, windows and seat. Is that correct? How did you hook up your power accessories (windows, locks, seats) to the AAW accessory connector, do you have any picture's of your connections running to the accessories connections. I also have a electric choke on Holley carburetor that I have to connect to a ignition activated 12 volt source. How would you suggest connecting it? Again thank you for the information and advise, it has been really helpful.

On my 70 I ran the power wires for the windows and door locks to the acc connection. On my 72 I ran a wire from the power seat connection in the acc plug to the console to power my power seats. The power windows in the 72 will also get power from acc connection. For your elec choke I want to say there is a wire already in the harness for an elec choke. I currently don't have access to the wiring paper work to verify that with. If it does that would be a better option vs running the wire to the acc plug or tie it to a wire that has 12volts when the key is on.

Monte 70 car, good morning. Hey I got a couple of questions. When I was removing my old harness I went ahead and removed both door jamb switches because I thought new ones came with the AAW kit only to find out they don't. I also happen to misplace one of the switches. The one that I do have is a double terminal switch. My question is are both door jamb switches double terminal? Also The rear body harness has a orange 12V wire and white ground wire for the courtesy lights/dome light.   My question is how do I tie-in or connect the courtesy lights, dome light and door jamb switches?  Where does the dome light connect to the harness the instructions just tell you to connect them. Also on the old harness there was a wire coming off the harness that connected to my light in my trunk, the new harness doesn't have  a wire. should I just splice into the orange 12 V wire running to the trunk to supply the 12 volts need to power the light?

No worries, I have been working on this car for the last 2 years. my goal is to have everything done by next spring. The harness was the last major task.  Only thing left is upholstery, vinyl top and a couple other minor things.  Again thanks for all of the help.

Monte 70 car, Good morning, I have temp installed the dash/main harness and finished wiring and installing the rear body harness/kit. I had purchase a set of Delphi crimpers from Amazon. I noticed when I was using them to crimp some wires for the rear body harness that they worked but I had to put a lot effort into getting them to work and crimp the wire properly. My questions is did you rent the two crimpers from AAW or did you use something else. The video that I watched on there web site of them using the two crimpers that they rent/sale make it seems so easy. Thanks.

Yeah my friend that installed the painless in his El Camino, told me he crimped all of his wires and connectors with a pair of needle nose pliers and just pulled on the wire and connector to make they didn't come loose. Thanks.

Monte 70car, good evening, hey just finished installing my Dakota gauges into the dash. I haven't installed the dash in the MC yet. Quick question, where did you install your oil pressure senor on your engine? Above the oil filter housing? I have a 454 and when I purchase the car from the previous owner he had a oil pressure gauge installed that was connected to a fitting above the oil filter housing.  Also since the Dakota kit comes with sensors/wires for the oil and temp that connect to the control box. I don't have to worry about the wires on the AAW engine/headlight harness right, I can leave them unconnected?