Installing Painless wiring harness

Big Al

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monte 70car, Good evening, been work on the MC today and had a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with.

1.) I noticed after working on the engine harness install that the horn relay has been removed with the AAW harness kit. I have AC in the car and the A/C relay used power from the horn relay. The hood light was also connected to the horn relay and used it as a source of power. Did you run into this problem with either of your MC rewire. If so how did you fix the problem? Could the fix be to just run a wire to the accessory to power the horn relay? I also need a 12 volt source for the electronic choke.

2.) I have a TH 400 transmission, on my transmission solenoid harness has two wire that is connected to the solenoid, power and a ground. On the AAW transmission harness only has one (Pink) wire that connects to the trans solenoid. did you run into this problem, if so what was your fix? 

3.) the Dakota fuel gauge connects stated that you should run a (-) negative wire all the way back from the control box to the fuel tank. I guess the reason is to be as close to the (+) (light brown wire) positive wire. Did you run a negative wire all the way back to the fuel tank?  

For the horn relay AAW moved it to inside the car and its now a small box like a relay. To provide power to your a/c relay and under hood light look for a 12volt hot wire.

Either of my 2 Monte's have a 400 trans one has a 350 and the other is a 7004r. The orignial harness had the oragne and black going up to a box on the firewall then ran into the car for the switch on the throttle pedal and juice from the fuse panel. The new harness goes though the fuse panel for the juice.

I used just the tan wire no ground wire was run to the tank on my 70.

Monte 70car, good morning, thanks for the info, hey got another question. On page 2 of the engine harness installation, for the pink wire (12 V ignition). I have a after market electronic ignition system  (made by Pertronix/ignitor). It states to connect the pink wire to your Batt on your distributor cap. My problem is, I don't have a Batt connection on my Distributor cap. I went on the internet and found out what they were referring to, but the only problem is my distributor cap doesn't this connection point. Did you have similar problem and if so what was the alternate method you use. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Monte 70car, good evening, I had a question, I'm in the process of installing the neutral safety switch. my old harness and switch on my steering column had three connectors that came off the harness and that connected to the switch. 1 has two purple wires, that is the neutral safety switch, 2 has a green and pink wire, that is the back-up switch and 3 has two pink wires, I don't know what that is. The AAW wiring only calls for using the first two and not the third connector. Do you what the third connector is and is it needed? I'm going to post a picture.

Okay, thank you. I finished installing the rear, headlight and engine harness I also reinstalled the dash. Now I'm working on the dash and Dakota gauge harness/wiring.

Monte 70car, I need your help with a problem, Dash harness installation page 3, step 23, I can't find where the three prong connector should connect too. I found where the single brown wire connector connects but not the three prong connector

Monte 70car, after thinking about it, I think the three prong connector doesn't connect to the current heater switch because I have factory A/C. The three prong connector is actually for a car that doesn't have a/c. The only connector that must be installed is the single brown wire/connector.

Alfred the harness you are putting in is designed for a non-a/c car so you might not need those connection. If I remember right ono 70's the a/c harness was a stand alone harness and the 71 and 72 they joined the harness with the dash harness.

Yeah, after sitting down and giving it some thought, A/C was a option back then, all the wiring harness were designed for non-A/C cars, and then if customer ordered their car with A/C, the A/C harness was added and integrated with the stock harness (A/C feed wire/connector). I also went and looked at the original harness that I removed from the MC and it has the same connector. I believe the connector is not used and just stored. I just wish AAW would have stated in the installation manual, if you have factory A/C the plug would not be used. Also thanks for the help again, I never wired a entire car before, so please bare with my questions I'm almost done. Also please call me Al. Thanks again.

Monte 70car, Good evening, quick question, where did you mount your brain/control box for your Dakota gauge kit? I was looking for and area to mount mine. The area that the radio is in doesn't have a lot of room.

Another question, on page 3 of the Dakota VHX-70C-CVL installation guide, it states to connect the 3-pin wire harness into the clock and refer to the included VLK 6530360 manual for wiring instructions. I have read the instructions and nothing tells you how and what to connect the wiring harness for the clock. How and what did you connect the harness for the clock too? The instructions are very vague

Monte 70car, I'm having a problem with my park lights/turn signal lights.

When you pull the headlight switch inside the MC and turn the key forward towards the start position, the left turn signal light indicator on the dash lights up and the left front park lamp/turn signal will not come on. when I move the turn signal lever to the left position the park light comes on. None of the turn signals are working. The front headlights,rear lights and marker light are working. I have been troubleshooting and I found a couple of things and corrected them but I haven't been able to fix's this problem. Do you have any suggestions or have you had a similar problem like this before?

• 6 months later...

I'm glad I came across this! I was thinking about rewiring with AWW myself...will be studying this when I do pull the trigger on doing this upgrade. Great 411 for a rookie like myself!

• 1 month later...

So I am hoping to revive this thread, I too am install this 510336 aaw harness and I trying to figure out the ac wiring, (even though I am deleting it) with the new aaw kit, do you use the 4 pin or the 1 pin behind the dash for anything? And in the engine bay, with the new kit it comes with the orange power wire supposed to go to the blower motor, do you use that?

HELP HELP

Chris do you plan on using the heat in the car? If yes then you will run the orange wire to the blower motor and then hook the control panel up to the harness. I've done two of the AAW harness one in my 70 with factory heat only and my 72 with the air and heat removed. Take your time and follow the sheets they provide and ask question you can message me and I can try and assistance the best I can.

So this is the connector for the fan switch the three prong is the new harness for the 3 prong resistor. Now, the 4 prong, is the fan switch, wire colours are 2 orange (doubled up) a blue a yellow and 2 browns doubled up.

One brown comes from the fuse box the other is a small pig tail tat says ac feed. Do I need any of these or do I tape those up an forget about them and use the stock harness.

post-606-0-48812400-1465822647_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-42196300-1465822745_thumb.jpg