Alternator Swap information.

kc8oye

For those who are considering an alternator upgrade, I have some information you may like.. the king daddy of alternators, the CS-130, charges well at idle.. output of 105-110A..

It can be wired up in a 1, 2, 3, or 4 wire configuration, depending on how fancy you want to get.

The application is a 1986 Chevy Astro Van, 4.3L v6

it's got the old-style mounts that will fit an old school v8 like ours.. They are $73 at Advance Autoparts (www.partsamerica.com)

$35 core charge.

Part # is P7823-11, Lifetime Warranty

It does however, come with a serpentine pulley, so keep your old one.

That's good information. I am currently having probelms with mine now and was considering some upgrade options. Just a few dumb questions:

Is the surpentine pulley an easy swap?

Do you need to change any brackets to put it on the car?

Are there instructions on how the different ways to wire it in?

Can the external voltage regulator be eliminated?

Please send me as much info as you have. I would greatly appreciate it.

THANKS!!!

Mike

The pulley is as easy it undoing the nut, removing the old pulley, putting the new one back on. but I would recomend getting the crank and water pump pulleys from the same 4.3l.. the serp. belt for the alternator only, IMHO is great idea.

The brackets.. I *THINK* no, I didn't measure or test fit one, I just looked at it brand new in the box.

The Wiring, I'm going to go back up to the library, and photocopy the info out of the 86's shop manual smile.gif

but you will need to visit a junkyard and get a connector, unless you can find one locally. The guy at advance says he stocks it, but wasn't real sure.

basicly, the "F" terminal needs +12v

at the mininum, that's all u need. I will provide more details on the other wiring shortly.

(I'm gonna write a tech article on this one)

yes, ditch the regulator, it is no longer neded.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Brichta:

That's good information. I am currently having probelms with mine now and was considering some upgrade options. Just a few dumb questions:

Is the surpentine pulley an easy swap?

Do you need to change any brackets to put it on the car?

Are there instructions on how the different ways to wire it in?

Can the external voltage regulator be eliminated?

Please send me as much info as you have. I would greatly appreciate it.

THANKS!!!

Mike</font>