Installed new rear coils springs

MCfan

When I rebuilt the front suspension of my '70 SS with Moog stock replacement components last summer, I ran out of time to install the new Moog #5379 rear coil springs I purchased at the same time. Since I'm not likely to get the rear suspension rebuilt this summer, I decided to go ahead and install the new rear springs one evening last week. 

As most would know, this is a pretty simple and quick project that offers immediate and lasting results.  I am very pleased to have a better attitude on the SS, as well as, a bit firmer ride and cornering - wish I'd done it sooner!

As usual, I created a brief photo journal of the project in case it might help or inspire another novice like myself: Installing rear coil springs

Here are the before and after attitude shots plus a couple of photos from the project.

post-567-0-49626000-1441595885_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-67763600-1441595905_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-72080100-1441595935_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-05593500-1441596040_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-30712500-1441595986_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good Dennis, are those variable rated springs from Moog ?

Darren.

I don't believe they are variable rate springs, Darren.  Here are the specs that are listed on the Moog website:

End type (1 & 2) = pig tail

Inside diameter = 5.570"

Bar diameter = .562"

Install height = 8.50"

Load = 760

Spring rate = 122

Free height = 14.75"

Their application table for this spring lists a ton of '70s and '80s GM models so it is a fairly universal replacement spring.

Interestingly, the only review on the Jegs site for this spring was from a guy (not me) who also put them on a '70 Monte Carlo SS and he rated it straight 5s ... we'll see.  I like the black powder coating, but maybe that is fairly standard anymore.  I paid $47.99 for the pair last summer ... now they're up to $56.99 at Jegs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the springs. The photo journal made it look too easy not to try it. Thanks for documenting Dennis!

I'm glad the project photo journal was some inspiration for you, Rob.  It is an easy and straight forward project, but it also has an inherent safety risk since the body must be securely supported while the real axle is free to move down and back up to replace the springs.  Be sure you have adequate supports under the frame since you will be working partially under a suspended car body.  Enjoy the project and stay safe.