Been a long long road but the light at the end of the tunnel in Saturday!!

Rock

I still need the rocker molding but I am extremely happy the way it has turned out. Thanks for all the compliments. My goals this winter is to put on the Viking shocks, add the rocker moldings and fix the molding around the vinyl top along the back window and hopefully tow it out to the eastern meet in Ohio next year.

New issue I have....I purchased the original roof moldings from Jared and not sure how to proceed with this. The old molding was some generic piece that was bent to fit around the back of the rear window and frankly didn't look very good. The vinyl top is below the holes where the original molding was and now adds new problems. Do I make new holes along the vinyl or reuse the old molding?

I can't cut the vinyl back to the original holes cause the paint wasn't sprayed back that far. Should I drill new holes and use the moldings I got from Jared? Dilemas!!

I don't have a simple solution, sorry.

By looking at the picture, I don't believe this vehicle has a factory installed vinyl top. Perhaps everyone else already knows this already.

I assume you are talking about the metal moldings that cap off the edge of the vinyl roof material.

Being aftermarket type moldings that may have been part of a dealer added vinyl roof (very very common) back in the day, the OEM factory moldings may need to be positioned in a slightly different area on the body, than the current molding, to fit properly. This new position may / is different than current and will result in the unpainted area showing.

Good luck,

Bruce

• Like 1

What kind of molding clips should I be using?

post-1188-0-35843600-1445611442_thumb.jpg These?

or I have seen the metal stud type clips that look like they bolt from underneath.

I don't have a simple solution, sorry.

By looking at the picture, I don't believe this vehicle has a factory installed vinyl top. Perhaps everyone else already knows this already.

I assume you are talking about the metal moldings that cap off the edge of the vinyl roof material.

Being aftermarket type moldings that may have been part of a dealer added vinyl roof (very very common) back in the day, the OEM factory moldings may need to be positioned in a slightly different area on the body, than the current molding, to fit properly. This new position may / is different than current and will result in the unpainted area showing.

Good luck,

Bruce

It was an after market added vinyl I believe but the car came from factory with a vinyl top and all the original holes are there. Obviously I cant go to the original holes and cut the vinyl back since irt isn't painted there. I may just drill new holes and add the correct moldings and cut the roof moldings and form them for the sail panels. Do you know what clips were used along the trunk line? The moldings Jared sent me had a metal clip with a stud that looked like it went through the body and had some kind of nut on the end to hold it in place. I can post a pic when I get home.

Since I don't have a vinyl top on my 71, I can't answer your clip question.

I recommend you tape ALL of the new / replacement moldings in place just to "mock up" how and where they will fit first.

This may answer some of your questions.

Bruce

Those in your pix look like the ones we used to use on the vinyl top moldings. If the studs were gone there were some very small screws with the heads being the size of the rivet heads that worked very well.

I have never seen that type of molding used on the vynil top trim. But it has also been 20 years since I did much of that type of wrok.

that clip was on the molding Jared sent me. Looks like they have a metal screw clip for the underside.