Wilwood Brake Kits and 15" Rally Wheels

colonel

Just trying to find anyone that has used either of these Wilwood kits with 15" GM Rally Wheels.

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeKits/WCD_Drawings/WCD_dwg-Large/ds448_wcd-lg.jpg

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeKits/WCD_Drawings/WCD_dwg-Large/ds617_wcd-lg.jpg

Wilwood gives you great drawings but without comparative info on the inside of the GM Rally Wheel it doesn't do you much good.  I did ask  Wilwood if they test fit them or even designed them with that wheel in mind and they said they don't test any wheels and they were not designed with that wheel in mind.  Not a lot of help.  Maybe I should phone again and see if I get a different person that has the info I need.

The SSBC kit I have on there now was specifically designed to fit in that wheel so I thought that would have been a consideration given those kits are for GM A body cars, specifically Monte Carlo's.  They commonly came with them so it seemed logical to me.

Anyway if someone has some info with regards to this please let me know as I am interested in switching to one of these kits and using the stock disc brake spindle to help increase my ride height among other benefits.

Ryan,

If you are willing to take the time to do a check with genuine 15x7 GM Rally Wheels to verify clearances that would be of great help.

I would like to go with the 6 piston setup but that caliper is larger than the other 7675 kit that I think would have clearance.  I am reluctant to take the chance on the 6 piston kit not clearing when I am sure the 7675 kit will clear based on rough measurements I have made.

I have used an after market rally wheel in the past but they are not made the same.  I had to get rid of them as they did not fit over the SSBC rear disc setup that does clear the GM Rally Wheels I use now so hopefully you will find that the GM wheels have more clearance than the other ones you have checked.

Thanks, Kevin

I checked my rally wheel and they definitely hit. I'm really not sure if mine are OEM or aftermarket, is there a way to tell? I got to looking at it though, and these wheels won't work even if they did clear the caliper. The wilwood hubs have larger 1/2" wheel studs as well as a different hub style which requires a lug-centric wheel. I ran into this issue with the rear axle and had to switch wheels to a shank style lug to get them to fit. I took a few pics of the new vs old hubs and how the wheels mount to them.

post-1964-0-65996800-1442675440_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-29358800-1442675591_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-99198000-1442675661_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-40273900-1442675695_thumb.jpg

Well that isn't a problem I was thinking I was going to have but I can see what you mean about the hub differences.  It does appear those Wilwood hubs are not made for stock steel wheels but rather after market wheels which doesn't work with what I want to do.  Bugger!!!!

I would consider a rally wheel genuine if it has some stamping marks around the valve stem that indicate where and when it was made among other things.  That info can be found on the net and help you identify specifics about it.

Many thanks for your efforts in finding the answer to my question and uncovering an unknown issue.

Thanks again, Kevin

i have the wilwood dynapro low profile rear brake kit with internal parking brake on my monte and the fit behind my stock rallys no problem! beware that you will have to get a new master cylinder or there wont be enough pressure to operate them...(hydroboost???) part number 140-11398

20150612_000549_zpsm2h4fyny.jpg20150623_231253_zpsasxhk3if.jpg

Hello Scott:

I was just going to keep my SSBC rear disc setup as the rally wheels fit fine over that setup.

My desire was to get a front setup that still uses a 12 inch rotor but uses the stock spindle to give my car a bit of extra ride height.

What setup are you using on the front that fits over the rally wheels???

My current SSBC setup uses an AFX aluminum spindle with C5 hubs bolted in them which drops the ride height 7/8 of an inch and I need that space to keep my headers from grinding away.  Otherwise I have to change headers and go with a 1 3/4 primary rather than the 1 7/8 ones I have now.  Likely won't make a performance diff anyway.

prd_136.jpg?img_id=201412011021390