1970 Monte Carlo 454

Gilly

Hello Alll!

A couple of years ago I bought an old 1970 Monte Carlo.  I have been fixing it up since.  It has an original 454 and I was told all the 1970s with original 454 are the SS model, is that true?  It has had a lot of things stripped off, including the airshocks that were on the back.  Is there a sure fire way to tell its an SS?  I am selling it and don't want to mislead the buyer.  Here is the CL add I am running:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5152375831.html

Thanks!

Matt

A build sheet could have been dropped in at the factory in several locations: in rear seat, above gas tank, etc.  You cannot obtain one after the fact.  If it is a Canadian built car, the cowl tag will have a "Z 20" on it, if it is an SS.

If you give us the letter in the middle of the VIN number we can tell you what plant it was produced. The reason I say this is because there is no reason to tear apart the car looking for a build sheet if the car was made in the Flint plant because nobody has found a build sheet in a Flint built car.

rob

My Baltimore Built Monte had several.  One in the front seat bottom just above the hump, one in the rear seat springs, one in the drivers seat back  (but this one was for another Monte a few cars behind mine on the assembly line).  I found another one just under the carpet on the drivers side which is a very complete build sheet but it is stained due to the sound deadening material.  I have not removed any of the original carpet so there may even be more under the carpet.  I have never dropped the gas tank so there may be one up there also.  

Since your interior has been replace I doubt you will find one in the seats but if the carpet has not been replace that may be a good bet.

Rob