Front stereo speakers - Kenwood KFC-4675C - install

jja

So the consensus seems to be that the Kenwood 4675C 4 X 6 speakers would fit under the dash with minor modifications. I bought a pair and installed the passenger side speaker using the existing bracket. 

I am attempting to install the driver's side speaker using the existing bracket but am having some trouble. There does not seem to be as much clearance on that side. I have the gauge package and wonder how the speaker is supposed to fit behind the rear of the AMP.

Any suggestions from anyone who has done this already?  Was wondering whether to modify the existing bracket by first taking it off and then grinding it down in the middle where the magnet seems to need more clearance.

And yes I have a factory AM radio that was converted to a AM/FM stereo that can use these type of speakers.

Joe

You're right there isn't much room on the driver's side to begin with, using the Kenwood speakers you posted with the huge magnet I'm sure posses more of a difficulty. Were you looking for a 2-Way Coaxial Speaker in the way of a better sounding speaker? I have experienced similar issues and just modified the existing brackets, although the tight fit also posed a problem with the dash pad.   

Yep.  They fit but you have to trim the bracket and add tabs at one side to support speaker frame.  Packing for a trip.  If I have time I have pics of the customized brackets.

My speakers need a bit more trimming but you will get the idea of what needs to be done.

....... your lucky.  Found them quick.  I will email.  I installed Boston Acoustics which were a touch bigger.  The actual speaker frame needed to be trimmed on drivers side.  You can get an idea as to what needs to be done on drivers side.  Trim center of bracket to fit larger magnet ..... then add the "L" brackets to support speaker on each side.

**** Actually I can't.  Youi do not have an email listed on your profile.  I do not know how to post pics here.

Dan

Thanks Cory,

I do not now how to post pic. This is what we needed to modify to get the Boston Acoustics to fit. Bit larger than the Kenwoods. As you can see, you need to enlarge opening for magnet and the add "L" brackets to mount speaker. I cannot remember if you needed "L" brackets on both sides forKenwoods. May just need on one side. As you can see i needed to trim some of the perimeter framing on speaker itself to get it to fit. Not needed with Kenwoods. Passenger side never an issue.

Gotta say my Bostons sound killer though. Well worth the effort.

Good Luck

Dan

Joe, I opted for Electro Tek 4x6 front speakers instead of Kenwoods.  Although they have smaller magnets and are available with adapter brackets (for an additional $10), the driver's side still required some very minor adjustments (but no cutting or grinding of the original brackets).  In addition to the other suggestions, I placed some thin insulator material between the electrical connectors on the speaker and the original speaker bracket because of the close fit.  I was concerned that installing the dash pad might press the speaker down just enough to cause a short.

I have included a couple of photos of the speakers and brackets in case there is anything there that might also apply to your Kenwood speakers.

post-567-0-62799200-1444057128_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-49201700-1444057199_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-78544200-1444057251_thumb.jpg

Thanks folks, I used an angle grinder to remove just enough of the middle of the bracket like CKZ depicts in his pictures. Would have gone with the Electro Tek if I had know of them but my stereo setup works fine.

I really like the fact that my radio maintains its original appearance but can play FM and has a 3.5 mm aux in to play music off my iphone.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...