Plastic inner fender install

1x99nova

Did a search. Lot's of info but can these be installed relatively easily without removing fenders and such? Mine are cracked and scratched and I would like to replace them but not to the extent of removing fenders. Thanks in advance,  Roger

Though I went with steel ones, I installed mine with my fenders in place no problem. As mentioned in other threads about this project, I did have to make a few of the bolt holes larger for them to fit properly. I thought it was an easy job as long as you give yourself plenty of time and patience.

Mike

On most of them you will need to enlarge the holes a little. Just dont try to force the holes to match because it can buckle the fender. Yes, it can be done without removing the fenders. Dont forget to get the dust flaps for the a-arm openings.

rob

One nice thing with the plastic inner fenders is they can be bent and twisted easier than the steel. Just take your time and make sure all the holes line up. Start all the bolts finger tight before you do a final tightening.

Another piece of advice.. If you don't already know. Use the proper cupped fender washers, cause the ordinary flat washers have a tendency to cut into the plastic.

Roger, as others have advised, you can remove and replace your original inner fenders without removing the front fenders - just raise and securely support the frontend and remove the front wheel(s).  I have removed and re-installed/replaced the inner fenders on both of my '70s multiple times.  One has plastic, the other has steel.  IMO, there is a world of difference in the two types when it comes to installation - the plastic being far quicker and easier.

I recently removed a driver's side steel inner fender to refurbish it and install a new dust shield.  All went well until it was time to re-install the freshly-painted fender with new dust shield in place - I probably learned a half dozen new bad words in the process.  Honestly, if I had not removed that fender from my car two days before, I would have sworn the two had never met!  I had to use my floor jack to force the fender up into place so the original holes (some already elongated) would line up using the (cleaned) original bolts.  That's how rigid and challenging Chevelle steel inner fenders can be ... 

You should not experience such problems with new plastic fenders, especially if they are made specifically for the '70-'72 Monte Carlo, like the ones sold by the Parts Place.  Unlike the original plastic fenders that are made of a harder, less flexible plastic, the new ones are easier to flex into place and the bolt holes should align without modification. As already mentioned, don't tighten any of the bolts until they are all loosely in place.

If you are installing new dust shields, it is much easier to do it before you put the fender on.  It can also be done with the fender already in place - I've done it both ways - but access for drilling holes from the engine compartment side is limited.  Note: Be sure to order the correct dust shields.  If your new plastic fenders are original Monte replacements, the dust shields Larry identified are the correct ones.   However, if your new fenders have the larger Chevelle-style A-arm opening (I have never seen these in plastic, but others say they exist), you will need the larger dust shields for a Chevelle (see photo comparison below).  Although most dust shields come with six or seven steel staples per side, there are other (and easier) ways to attach them, including using black plastic trim fasteners that expand with a push pin or screw after insertion in a drilled hole of the proper size.  Good luck with your project.

post-567-0-53458300-1443975391_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-75011800-1443975469_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-79624700-1443976240_thumb.jpg

How is the quality these days of the plastic ones?

I replaced mine with OEM replacement parts (cracks starting after only 25 years) and the only problem I remember is one of the side marker light rubber grommet holes was way too large.

I reused the splash guards and staples, just drilled tiny holes in the plastic.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...