Question on 70 SS Factory Tach?

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Just perusing eBAY Auto Forum looking at 1st Gen Montes 4 sale.  This 1970 SS Car looked pretty legit until I noticed in one of the pic's the Factory Tach appears to be for a 350 CI!  Now if all original as he suggests, what

is up with the Tach discrepancy?

See attached picture with link also provided.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-SS-454-/181902341830?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a5a3976c6&item=181902341830

Doug

post-458-0-02671500-1444867122_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of my 71 350 4BBL tach.

I don't remember what the 70 454 red line was but I believe it is different (higher) than a 350.

Bruce

post-76-0-55373100-1444867826_thumb.jpg

we've been thru this many times....

we have seen this many times where a big block car (even a SS) has the 5000 red line tach, even on a documented car,  it is not a for sure indicator of a big block or a small block

He Ad says he checked the numbers on engine pad , oil filter housing that matched Vin on dash.   I discovered after a second look of his pics, there is no holes on the driver inner fender to mount the air ride compressor?  And the rear shocks are gone so no help there.  Does have a 12 bolt rear & boxed lower control arms.  Shows a air ride pump, shock protectors along with other components laid out on the ground.

Doug

post-458-0-32862600-1444870472_thumb.jpg

we need to remember that these cars are pushing 50 years old, who knows what has been changed on them, the plastic inner fenders were very prone to cracking and more than likely has been replaced at one point

1st time it was on it went to 7500 reserve not met . The other gold one he had on e-bay a few weeks ago was more complete under the hood & sold at 6500 or close to that . Silver w/ black top would be a sharp car when done !!

As long as its not a 6500 Tach and block is Not a CRV or CRS or CRR. If it is sell the farm and don't let it out of your site until you have bought it hahahaha. I think most of you know where I am going with that and its a 1970......

Still dreaming....

Darren.

Thats where it normally is Ert. Were you thinking it was somewhere else or were you just pointing it out ?

Darren.

• Like 1

One of our members that lives in the St. Louis area has a '70 SS that's a low mile, original survivor. It was featured on the tv show, Muscle Car several years ago, and it has cruise control. I have a photo of the level ride compressor somewhere that he sent me and it shows the cruise control mounted behind the compressor.

Dan

Updated, added the photo:

post-339-0-94473800-1445009310_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

One of our members that lives in the St. Louis area has a '70 SS that's a low mile, original survivor. It was featured on the tv show, Muscle Car several years ago, and it has cruise control. I have a photo of the level ride compressor somewhere that he sent me and it shows the cruise control mounted behind the compressor.

Dan

Thanks for sharing that, Dan. Maybe we lay another "SS myth" to rest?

That isn't the right lever for a 70. In 70 it was chrome with a chrome button not black. I had a 70 with cruise back in the early 80s. I also saw an SS Monte at a NMCOA meet  that had cruise. Don't remember if it was a 70 or 71 anymore. i asked him about it and he told me it was dealer installed, not factory. It was mounted behind the compressor and down the back of the inner fender. The speedometer cables were too long and connected to the cruise unit at some extreme angles. Not letting me post a link to a picture but just google 70 Chevelle cruise control pictures and you will find it. 

Steve, was the SS you saw at the NMCOA meet  with cruise a dark green car?  If so, that could have been the car I'm referring to.  I know the car has been to some of their meets.  I can't find the owner's contact info at the moment, or I'd call him. 

Dan

Did anyone see that the column has cruise control on the turn signal? SAM_0771_zpsgjtolxvm.jpg

100% Guarantee you that is the correct Cruise Lever, It shows it in my GM Parts Book and also the Gm Sales Brochure from 1970 both on the Chevelle and Monte Carlo.

The 1970 Electro Tip Wiper that was in the same place and was even more rare was Chrome with a Chrome button in 1970. Also had 6 70 chevelles with cruise and every one had that lever and 4 70 montes with the same one. Also have a NOS one in the GM Box in the garage with lead wire and part number on the box matches the parts book one for 1970..

just saying...

Darren.

PS. Ert Liams 71ss has the air ride tank and the cruise control as well, the cruise is mounted behind the tank between it and the PB booster on whats left of the fenderwell for space. looks original to me...  :)

Overdrive I remember it being a dark color but that was 20 or more years ago. Darrin maybe there was a mid or late year change but I had an original 70 Monte with cruise and it was chrome. It was a full halo car so early to mid model year build.

Overdrive I had an original 70 Monte. It was a full halo car so early to mid model year build.

Just a note here. The full halo is not an indication of a 70 being an early, mid or late year build. The lack of a full halo trim is more an indication of a plant that ran out of the 1970 trim and just started using the 71 trim they had for the new production year. Mine is a very late year build (June 1970) with a full halo two-tone. (Mine is a Baltimore built car)

rob

• 4 months later...

we've been thru this many times....

we have seen this many times where a big block car (even a SS) has the 5000 red line tach, even on a documented car,  it is not a for sure indicator of a big block or a small block

Oh, thank god. I was about to get worked up.

Seems like these cars are relatively hard to verify as true SS454? (especially without a build sheet).