set back

monte70car

After making great head way with the 427 tall deck now work has to come to a stop. While looking down at the oil pump shaft I noticed it wasn't the regular oil pump shaft MEL-IS-77B_xl.jpg?rep=False I have never seen a dist that will take that style of end before. I don't think a slip collar dist will have the needed drive for the oil pump.

Looks like a heavy duty oil pump driveshaft, with a steel sleeve. High volume pumps used them, and I think some truck motors used the heavy duty pumps. The one old truck at work with a 427 called for 15-40 oil.

Some tall deck manifolds need a dizzy with a slip collar to get the cam gear engagement right

The shaft that Andreas posted looks like a 400 sbc shaft

• The oil pump drive shaft shown in the first picture and the picture of the oil pump is a factory shaft for a 1966-1969 366/427 tall deck truck engine (points ignition). in 1970 they went to the more common shaft/ distributor gear configuration. To put a hei ignition on that engine you will need to replace the oil pump shaft with a 1970 or newer shaft, a hei distributor housing and a tall deck distributor shaft and gear-- which are longer than a small block to accommodate the tall deck